Sign in to follow this  
Dub Style

VR6 altenator problem

Took the starter off as it was sticking a little, cleaned the shaft and applied a thin layer of grease so it springs back well. refitted eveything fired the car up starter no longer sticks but the battery light is on, its never come on before and the car has only been stood for 2 days. theres a blue wire that runs to the altenator and every time i disconnect it the battery light goes out???......connect it and it comes on.......whats going on???

Faulty regulator???

What voltage do you read across the battery terminals with the engine running?

Also re-check the starter wiring.

checked the starter wiring and every thing seems in order, just one wire im not sure about.

On the alternator there are two wires one blue which goes into a plug on the wiring loom and second is a black wire with a ring type connector, seems to me like its the earth for the alt but i might be wrong i had this on one of the starter bolts when i did this the light stays on..........just disconnected it and the battry light flickers at idle and goes out when revved.........might it be a positive?

that's the live from the alternator and needs to be connected to the starter motor's + terminal... If you've connected it to earth and started the car, the odds are you've just killed your alternator... :roll: