Sign in to follow this  
chrishill

suspension problem...ideas?

on the drive up to my parents house this afternoon on fairly bump roads I found that the front nearside tyre is rubbing on the arch liner over more servre lumps and bumps, yet the offside is fine.

Upon closer inspection I (or rather my dad) noticed that the nearside is a good few mm lower than the offside, this may have been the case for a while but i never noticed it on the 15's. what are the probable causes?

my first thought was the top mount, but I thought the vr6 mounts were supposed to be fairly resiliant? theres no rattle like there was on my 16v topmounts when they went. other than being lower everything else seems to be working as it should be, no clunks or clangs or anything. anyone got any ideas?

ta

Ideas that spring (no pun intended....) to mind -

1. weak or badly fitted road spring

2. broken top mount - VR ones are strong but not invincible

3. mismatched or worn shocker

4. bent wishbone or worn wishbone bushes

Worst case scenario is a twisted chassis or bad repair from previous accident (if it's had any)

its been in a shunt in its previous life, so i'm not going to rule out the worst-case yet although I dont think it'll be a twisted chassis...now that you mention it the damage was on that side at the front. I also know the bushes need changing so hopfully its down to that, cheers steve, pretty much confirmed what i was thinking but its good to have the opinion of someone with more experiance!