Sign in to follow this  
KADVR6

rear vr6 shocks on a 2.0 16v??

my mates 2.0 16v failed its mot due to the rear shocks being knackered. i have still got mine of my vr6. he is stone broke so just wondered if mine would be ok on hes?? :?:

Well they'll physically fit, so they'll get him through the MOT, but they're not the right damper rating so it'll ride like poop...

They're about the same, but they are oil/gas hybrids. The 16v had standard oil-only dampers, iirc.

bouncy AND stiff? make yer mind up! ;)

the back end of a VR6 weighs exactly the same the back end of a 2.0 16v (apart from a single extra wheel bolt either side..), and according to the factory the only difference between the two dampers is the presence of gas in the VR6 ones. I asked. The gas under pressure means that the oil doesn't "boil" under heavy use, and they maintain their damping control longer under load.

Put new bump stops on, though, and it'll feel like a different car!

In fact, I sold a pair of VR6 rear dampers to a guy for his 2.0 16v around a year back. He was fitting the full set of gas dampers and he never reported any problems.