Sign in to follow this  
mildmanneredjanitor

Oops, I've just sprung a leak...

Hi,

my poor car overheated today and have traced the fault to losing all the coolant :shock: The thing has been losing coolant for a while and could see evidence around the top of the gearbox. Well when trying to top up the water, it came out faster than it went in... So at least I found the problem straight away!

Anyway, I read the overheating sticky and Henny mentioned the gearbox pipe, I quote:

On a G60 there are 2 metal water pipes... one goes from between the pump and the bottom Rad hose, the other runs around the gearbox end of the engine.... Both are prone to rusting through and causing leaks... The gearbox one is actually the cheap one, with the bottom rad one being more expensive, even though it's a single pipe with no T pieces in! (£18.45 for the gearbox one, £44.93 for the rad one... )

Don't suppose this part has a name or someone can tell me the VW or GSF part number?

I just hope I haven't done any real damage... :( Really can't afford this at the mo, and can't earn without the car!!!

Thanks in advance!

mild mannered janitor

just go into VW and ask 'em for it by the description above... it's a doddle to find in ETKA so any parts muppet will be able to get you a price/order one... 8) Don't forget to ask for a "corrado forum" discount though... it's always worth a try... ;) :lol:

Cheers Henny, will do.

Just spent last few hours trying to get the thing off... Those little squeeze together clips are ****!!! Horrible little things, that coupled with the siezed allen bolt.

Anyhoo, all disconnected now, just have to suss out how get it past the fuel (thingy?) on the end of the block? It doesn't look like the thing you can casually remove?

Ref the discount, anyone here use Mann Eggerton in Exeter? The is a dealership in Newton Abbot which is a bit closer, but since being ignorred there 4 years ago, mafe a point of never using them again! Mann Eggerton have always been very helpful.

replace the squeeze clips with jubilee clips (good ones, not ones with brass heads on the bolts ;) ) and you'll never have a problem with them again... 8)

which engine do you have? I'm confused by the "fuel (thingy?) on the end of the block"... have you got a 16V?

replace the squeeze clips with jubilee clips (good ones, not ones with brass heads on the bolts ;) ) and you'll never have a problem with them again... 8)

Yes, I feel some Stainless Steel JCS clips on the way!

which engine do you have? I'm confused by the "fuel (thingy?) on the end of the block"... have you got a 16V?

Yes, it is a 1.8 16v ('89) after trying to remove (which weren't gonna!) siezed allen bolts again... I noticed that there was a engine/gearbox flange bolt, in its path, removed this and out it popped!

Thing is, not one, not two, but three large holes...? The whole thing must have been clinging to life by it's finger tips!

sounds about right... you'll tend to find that it'll go in one place and then the pressure of the water belting out of it and then the shock of taking it off will open up more holes in the rust...

Have you got it sorted now then? 8)

Hi Henny,

haven't got the bit yet, should be delivered to a local Vee Dub place tomorrow. Trouble is I've got a first aid course aswell, so won't be able to fit till the eve... :| Ho hum, never mind at least I'll be able to administer first aid to myself after injuring various body parts putting the bloody thing back together!!!

So keeping my fingers crossed that I haven't cooked the poor thing... Ooooh, whilst you're there, is there a specific coolant I should use? I seem to remember this being discussed before? (I read more than I post here!)

Regards

mmj

G12+ you can pick some up pretty cheaply when you pick the pipe up...

You'll need 2 tubs of it... ;)

Sounds like a boy band...

Can I pick up some suitable stuff from an auto factors? The VW garage is just a little independant place that I have parts dropped off at, and I'm not walking 30 miles to Exeter!

stick water in it, drive to VAG/GSF, buy G12+, drive home, drop out water and put in G12+ and water, job done... ;) 8)

G12+ has corrosion inhibitors in it designed specifically for VAG engines... personally I won't use anything else anymore... ;)

Big thanks for your help Henny (and Dinkus) all back together with no problems so far. I also changed the oil and filter and I think I'll change the oil again in a couple of weeks to give it a good flush.

So cheers! and fingers crossed. :thumbleft: