Sign in to follow this  
KarmannVR6

Problem removing front discs

Hi all. Started the job of replacing the driveshafts and cv's on the car today. However im having problems getting the front discs off. I've removed caliper etc. hub nut and small locating screw but the buggers wont move.

Beaten them with a hammer but no movement. Ive started damageing the discs now which i want to re use, so i thought id post to see if i've missed somthing.

Any advice? :(

Leave them on then. You don't HAVE to remove them to take the shatfs out. But if you really want to you will also need to remove the calliper carrier from the hub as the discs won't come out from behind them. They're held on with two 17mm or 18mm hex head bolts on the back of the hub.

But the discs are usually loose on the drive flange once the grub screw is removed, and you say you've done that so am at a bit of a loss. I can only think theye have been on the car for a gazillion years and rusted on pretty solid. Could try good dousing in Plus Gas or WD40, but you really shouldn't have to beat them much. Hope you used a soft faced hammer!

Sorry can't be more help

ifyou have bashed them with the hammer DONT put them back on you car, you could of cracked them and misshapped them