Sign in to follow this  
Chris M

water mist for your intercooler for

A cossy driving friend of mine gave me this idea and it couldn't be easier. He says people have been doing it to cossy's for ages so some may have all ready heard of it.

This is what I did.

Go down local scrappy find 2l 8v pinto motor from any ford ganny/siera etc.

Remove rocker to find the oil rail that squirts oil onto the cam, this is what you want.

Find a golf grab a load of window washer piping (the clear rubbery stuff) and a 'T' piece.

Now you can either go for a separate washer bottle and pump setup or do what I did.

Pay the man.

I chopped my oil rail in half so I had 2 L shapes and discarded the centre section. then I removed the bumper and got the I/C duct, drilled 2 holes so I could pass one half from left to right and 2 holes to pass one half from bottom to top. You can bend the flat ends of the oil rail so that you can use the mounting holes the screw them at the right angle to hit the cooler. I slid a piece of rubber hose up the oiler to block off the first hole on each half so that I had 3 more central jets rather than 4 with 2 right at the edge, but after thinking about it might be better to go corner/corner and use all 8 jets.

The way I have done it is to disconnect the back wiper so that its not dry wiping every time I squirt the cooler and plumed it up straight off the washer bottle rear window pump outlet and then T'd the two half’s together. And you can still wash the front window

I’m only going to use this during the warmer months so I’ve just stuck water in the bottle, when it starts getting colder I’ll stick screen wash back in and hook up the back wiper again.

Any way on the way to All types yesterday I was trying it out against my mate in his g60 (who I’ve usually got the edge on) and every time we hit a clear stretch of road I’d start pulling away slightly, then I’d press my wiper stalk forward and all I can say is guess what were doing to his car next weekend :lol: Its not torque in a bottle but it’s a noticeable improvement

If any one need any more info PM me.

It you wanted to you could set up the Water injection kits that Im selling to do this as well as spray into the intake.

would this be more effective if the water droplets are even finer?

i have a big box full of alloy atomising jets from an industrial greenhouse which could be quite usefull for this

like you say this is a cheap mod so its got to be worth a try and although some might just dismiss it and say its been tried on the rolling road with no noticeable gains, thats a rolling road and doesnt really bear any simillarity to the real road

i might try this on the weekend and if it doesnt work i will just take it back off and all it will have cost me is a couple of hours

just for the record...

Vince tends to have a large pressurised spray bottle handy when he's doing rolling road sessions so that he can cool down the intercoolers on the cars that are running... it's not just a theory, it WORKS... 8)

just for the record...

Vince tends to have a large pressurised spray bottle handy when he's doing rolling road sessions so that he can cool down the intercoolers on the cars that are running... it's not just a theory, it WORKS... 8)

yeap i have seen him dousing the odd radiator and intercooler with his garden sprayer a few times,, :wink:

fire&iceG60, i tried to take pics with my mobile but they were no good. i'll do some proper step by step ones when i do my mates.

gibber, the same one unit can do both? if so thats a bonus it means i can have the rear wiper back all year round, just hope the group buy goes through

coolrado, yes mate finer spray would give a more even coverage. i think the proper kits spay in a fine mist.

it would be hard to replicate the air flow of driving on the rollers.

You might be able to do it on the relatively cheap by using the 7l washer bottle from the headlight-washer versions of the C. It's got a much more powerful pump in it to blast the headlights with...

Yep my kits could do both, you would just have to plumb in another jet, and they would both spray wen you can onto boost!