Sign in to follow this  
Dixxy

changing the fuel filter on a VR

Got under my car yesterday to change my fuel filter. Its in a plastic cage with two bolts on studs holding the cage to the bottom of the car. However, after removing the bolts there seems to also be metal clips holding the cage to the studs. I can't see how to get these clips off.... any ideas?

You should be able to slide a thin flat blade screwdriver up the threads in order to release the locking clips.....if not, just edge them off by rocking the cage back and forth. They are safety clips and doing what they should be doing in the event the nuts shake loose.

i've done this twice and can't remeber having a problem??!! Just get a big hammer out :oops:

Clearly doing there job a little too effectively. So with both bolts off i should be able to work the cage free.

Cheers Gents

Yeah, take the nuts out and tug it around a bit....it'll come off.

And make sure you double check the filter orientation before clipping it into the cage!

There is, but sometimes you get a mental block when it's out of the cage and can't remember if the arrow points toward or away from the engine, LOL!....well, that's happens to me anyway!

Saw the big arrow, hopefully I can manage this...

Talking about filters, where’s the oil filter? I’ve had a quick look and sure I’ve found it. From under the car you can see the housing which looks similar to a standard incased oil filter.

As I seem to have moved to thread onto servicing... how often do you need to change the leads. Took one of mine off the other day and there seemed to be a bit of white powder, is this corrosion? is it time to change the leads.

Oil filter is inside the black plastic canister at the front of the engine.

You need a 6mm allen key to drain the canister, and then some bloody great thing to undo the main canister, I just use a large adjustable spanner. Don't over tighten it, just needs to nip up and that's it.

White power in the plug end of the leads? That's just chalk, don't worry about it. If it's a green, crumbly deposit.....you've got arcing and it would be a good idea to replace them.

Can you test leads to see if their still up to scratch. Or is it a case of they ither work or they don't.

Well you can hook them up to a meter and make sure they are 6Kohms end to end, but the best way to check is to simply spray water on them at night....any sparks signify leaking.

Cheers Gixxer, I might have to invest in a 36mm socket!

Roger, now you're just being far too rude...consider yourself publically warned :D

god help us - tug it around a bit - mental block and can't remember which way the arrow should point - where's the oil filter!!!???

This thread does not best higlight the knowledge base on the board :D

just needed a good tug. Anyway not putting those clips back on talk about your over engineering!!!