Sign in to follow this  
Rob_B

boost issues...

my boost is bleeding off 4 psi at the top of the rev range in 4th and 5th gears, any ideas chaps?

had the timing belt changed and the timing needed setting up again, could this be the problem?

cheers, Rob

retard you ignition a degree or two, your car must be pinking more than the ECU can adjust for, so as a safety boost gets vented through the isv.

What is the RPM that the boost is vented at?

i would say at about 5k

if i then back it off in 4th gear it will boost right up to 13 again but it wont do this in 5th

the timing was set to 6 degrees before top dead centre which i believe is correct.

std boost is typically around .7bar (I only get .65 on std pulley although i have p&p head/charger)

Something must be affecting your isv that it is holding slightly more boost before bleeding........

so if the isv bleeds off the boost at 0.8 bar, then putting a smaller pulley on wont do much as the boost will still bleed off at 0.8 bar?

yeah. A guy on the forum sandy had a dyno plot that was done a while ago, but it showd the boost fly up to .8 by about 3.5 - 4k rpm, then it just sat level till the red line...... i wonder if he has it in his members gallery.....

surely the ISV is controlled by the ECU?!? and an uprated ECU will bleed at much higher boost?!

How come I can get up to 15psi otherwise?!?

the map sensor bleeds at around 15-16psi which is just over 1 bar. there are some good posts on here about how the map sensor works too.

Rob-b i would agree with andrew and say that you are running to advanced on your ign timing. how was the timing set ? blue cts off and @ 2-2500rpm ?

yeah the timing was set between 2 and 2500 rpm with the blue water temp sensor off.mite just check the timing again tomorrow.

this isnt a belt slip issue is it or just leaking boost?

i couldnt really understand it as its only happening in 4th and 5th gears!!!