Sign in to follow this  
boosted187

stroker kit

hello everyone ..me again,

time to get some opinions,

my question is as follows,

if i were to stroke my motor (2.0) to a 2.2 how streetable will it still be?

meaning if i were to replace the crank ,rods ,pistons and overbore the motor.would i still be able to drive my car to work/play everyday.or are the parts only race intended,(meant only for the track)..? i dont really care about the car idleing rough or the motor vibrating a little i'm used to that on my other cars.my interests lie in wear and tear..how much would all the aftermarket components in the motor suffer compared to the stock VW components?it would suck to spend alllllllllllllll that money to only be able to drive it on the weekends and only around the block :roll:

thanks for any advice...........

Miami!!!

Hi mate, the mods don't really make any difference to the running of the car!

Sounds wrong? well think about it, VR's have a 2.9ltr engine and they run smooth as anything, yes i know it has 6 cyls but don't worry about that.

The things that mostly change the driving character of the car are the cams, go for wild ones and you expect lumpy lick over and a power band coming in high up the rev range. Be sensible with your choice and go for torque first.

Higher compression with forged pistons even at 2.2ltr will only serve to make the engine more efficiant and reliable as long as the ECU has a corrected map in it.

Normally aspirated.

Forced induction option will mean you could run higher pressures reliably and with the correct map should run smooth and seemlessly

You mentioned vibration, if the job has been done right the components should have been ballanced and the whole engine should really be smoother than the origional setup, however, if running significantly higher compression there may be a more agressive combustion process but this is not really of consequence and won't cause any discomfort.

Wear & tear mainly happens around start-up, when cold and with poor oil, take care in these areas as you should with your standard engine and things will go for a long time with no trouble, use good quality products and good oil, don't forget to use a new or uprated oil pump to supply high pressure oil to the shell bearings that will be loaded higher from the higher compression ratio.

Standard stuff really, just my thoughts, hope this supports what you thought.

Let us know how you get on and what you decide.

You mention a 6speed box in your signature, which box is this?

Cheers Chris

thanx for the reply

the car is going to be forced induction with a big turbo(maybe too big te-66 with an ar/63 exaust housing :shock: )the reason i ask for reliability is because i plan on driving the car everyday,i olso own a buick grand national wich i was olso going to buy a stroker kit for but all the vendors told me the same thing.you will destroy the parts if you drive it everyday.even though they are far stronger than stock you will break something sooner or later.they are'nt meant to be used on daily driven cars.thats why i asked.i dont know if the VW counterparts are meant to be used the same way(track only).. any advice will be wellcomed..olso wich kit is best and what company sells them..

the tranny came off a bi-turbo audi tt quattro 1.8 .. 5 thousand miles..my friend works at the audi dealership i get his cost (free).