Sign in to follow this  
Pablos

Replace roof skin to remove aftermarket sunroof?

I've a 1990 16v that has had an aftermarket glass sunroof fitted and I'm converting it to a track car so the sunroof has to go (looks minging anyway). I've had a bodyshop guy tell me it's not a big job and will look better than a sheet rivetted over the gap (I agree there).

Has anyone out there ever replaced the roof skin of their Corrado?? Is it a reasonable job for a competant body shop??

If its a track car and doesnt need to look perfect couldnt the existing sunroof be welded in, smoothed off with a bit of filler then painted and remove all the mechanical gubbins underneath?

putting a complete new roof on is a very easy job i would say fitting metal sheets over a bit dodgy

i once wlded a sheet in the sunroof hole of a honda crx filled over the top looked good but cracks came through after a couple of months

Unfortunately the sunroof is an aftermarket glass one, otherwise I'd consider using the panel. I raced a Golf GTi mk1 that had a steel panel over the sunroof hole and I agree that it was a pain, plus it occasionaly leaked!! Thanks for the info I'll price up a roof skin and getting it fitted.

...and you could probably sell the moonroof to someone on here that has a broken one (which isn't uncommon :-)).

Cheers,

Tom

I've got a genuine, factory bodywork repair manual that tells you hot to replace all of the body panels. I think I lent it to coxylaad though? PM him and see if he'll scan in the pages about the roof for you.

Hang on guys,i just had the same problem regarding my green corrado g60 i'm restoring that has terrible paintwork,over here in Italy it's illegal to re-shell a car,so i went and bought another corrado of the same colour with an electric sun roof hoping to do a simuler job that pablos is doing,removing the roof of a corrado is NOT a simple job,there are spot welds every were,inside the gutters,alongside the rain gutters,inside the shell,across the windscreen frame,most can't even be seen easily.

Think very carefully before doing a job like this,i ended cutting up a perfecty sprayed corrado shell and restoring the original shell after thinking about it for nearly 2 months...

Thanks for the info. I'll see if can get the repair manual to a good bodyshop so they can assess the work properly.