Sign in to follow this  
Adam Darby

track car

hi all been lookin in old posts to try and find this out, I have just bought a mk 2 golf 1.8gti 8v which has been a trackcar. What kind of mods can i do to this engine and what power can i get out of it i dont mind about poor idleing and thing like that cos its for track use only, but without forced induction. Got a turbo technics 16v corrado but also got my old standard 16v corrado on the drive doin nothin and i need to get rid of it quick do you think the 16v engine in this whould make a better track car engine. any help or advise needed cheers. :lol:

IMO. Is the 16V an 1800 or 2litre? 2 litre beter IMO, needs camming and chipping for best effect. Either are good though. KSTAR or VSAM(my favourite) on the 1800.

Gavin

For a track engine you'll want ARP rod bolts, big cams, as much headwork as you can afford, carbs - twin webber 45's or throttle bodies for FI, mappable ignition and fueling if going for FI. Super Light flywheel and clutch will help as will sticky tyres and a good suspension set up. The best thing you can do for improving lap times though is to get some tuiton. Worth at least 50bhp for the first session :)

For a track engine you'll want ARP rod bolts, big cams, as much headwork as you can afford, carbs - twin webber 45's or throttle bodies for FI, mappable ignition and fueling if going for FI. Super Light flywheel and clutch will help as will sticky tyres and a good suspension set up. The best thing you can do for improving lap times though is to get some tuiton. Worth at least 50bhp for the first session :)

And a Formula 1 budget..... :?: :roll:

I agree with the lessons comment though. Can't beat learning the art first. :lol:

Depends on the track I know if its a small windy track the 8Vs are a bit better compared to the 1.8 16V with standard cams.

The 2L 8V mrk 2 engine is a good track engine also with the right cams it can be a good runner.

As your prob know it all depends on your budget if you’re cutting it tight then there’s little point in starting jobs that you may not have the budget for. (Head work + suspensions don’t come cheap)

If your planning a transplant then perhaps a 1.8T might be a better option, again this really depends on your budget but its a straight forward way to get nice power. In the long run it can work out the same price as doing extensive work on 8/16V engines.

It really depends on how much your thinking of getting into it, if its just for occasional fun or more frequent competition use.

Well i might have a 1.9 8v bottom end coming up soon if thats of interest as i may be going 2.0l with my trackcar when i pick up my turbo kit.