Sign in to follow this  
biggrim

Heated seats

I've got full cream leather interior from a storm in my 92 G60 and I was wondering how easy it would be to wire up the heated seats. The wires are still at the bottom of the seats but there is obviously no buttons to press and no loom as the seats are not for a var as old as mine. Anyone got ideas as to how easy if at all it would be to wire it up. I know I'd probably need a late spec dash for the switches but what else? Would like to get it done before the cold Scottish winter sets in. I've got Joe M the than for putting the idea in my head at Kames. Cheers mate :wink: :p

here is what i would do give endless time a budget

remove the old style dash out of the G60 and install a newer design one, giving you all the modern buttons and loom to go with it. then you can plug in the proper loom and relays for the seats.

However if you havn't got abs you should have one or two blanking plates near your fog and rear screen switch. I personal would replace thoose switchs with the newer design ones (i think they fit) and do the stalks too. then get the loom of a car with heated seats and fit it you your G60, by using a loom from a Corrado you should save a lot of wiring problems, but you need to be doubly sure what your doing.

. I've got Joe M the than for putting the idea in my head at Kames. Cheers mate :wink: :p

Trust me, it will be worth it. Think how hot the leather gets in the sun, now imagine the opposite in the winter.

If you wanna take a look at mine at some point to see how its all wired give me a shout. Im hoping to have a lot of the interior apart this week at some point when im fitting my speakers and new wiring so could be a good time.

Cheers Joe but as you can see this is the first time at the computer all weekend so I've missed that chance! Need to figure out if all the wiring is there and get me a late spec dash with all the buttons. Did all the VR's come with heated seats? Let me know how the focals sound. 8)

You havent missed it yet, im still waiting on the speakers, hoping to get them tommorow or tuesday.

As far as I know the heated seats came with the leather but I have read that all the cars have the wiring loom already installed. This may be bs and could be late cars only but is worth a look.

The loom I think connects at the following places.

1. Fusebox, ill check what fuse number it is and you could have a look to see if anything is plugged in there.

2. The switches, maybe pop out your blanking plates and see if theres any loose connectors.

3. The seats, ill have a look and see if I can see where they dissapeer into the floor.

4. There is a click from behind the rear panel at the passenger side so im assuming there is some sort of control unit/relays there. This panel wont be removed from my C for a while so I dunno exactly whats there.

Ill let you know what I find and when im going to be fitting the speakers so if you want to take a look for yourself then your welcome too.

biggrim only Corrado's with factory-fitted leather had the heated seats :wink: ......

joe M i think its maybe only the revised/facelifted dashboard C's that might have the wiring loom already in place.........and as biggrim's one is the pre-facelifted model then i reckon he would have to buy the loom from VW not 100% sure tho.......

but one thing might be an idea to do is for biggrim to come over to you and for you to both take your respective seats out(only takes about 5-10 mins per seat) to test that biggrim's heating pads still work........as these cost over £100 per side to replace

joe M i think its maybe only the revised/facelifted dashboard C's that might have the wiring loom already in place.........and as biggrim's one is the pre-facelifted model then i reckon he would have to buy the loom from VW not 100% sure tho.......

Yeah, I think this is probably the case, did the early C's with factory leather have the heating?

but one thing might be an idea to do is for biggrim to come over to you and for you to both take your respective seats out(only takes about 5-10 mins per seat) to test that biggrim's heating pads still work........as these cost over £100 per side to replace

Thats a good idea that I hadnt thought of, its only something like one 13mm bolt to remove the seats I think

biggrim, you should maybe ask Darren (8vg60) if he knows anything about it as he recently changed his to black leather. I dont know if he wired up the seats though.

spot on joe its only one bolt :wink:

as for the early C's having heated seats in them.....tbh......i'm not really sure........i reckon they didn't........but could well be wrong :?

i think a lot of ppl who retro-fit them into earlier Corrado's aren't bothered too much about having a toasty derriere and also as i mentioned previously the replacement csots involved with the heating pads could well make it a luxury they feel isn't justified

Well My late G60, early dash, late body has NO heated seat loom thats for sure. But it is german spec so may be different from UK spec

Just browsing through the old posts and spotted this.

Might be a bit late but for what it's worth.

My '91 pre facelift 16v came with factory black leather interior and heated seats. I have the older dash, window switches etc.

The little rotary controls are on the dash below the window demister etc.

On other Corrados I've seen a blanking plate with a red LED or ''Unleaded Fuel Only'' sticker situated here.

I reckon it's just a matter of fitting the appropriate wiring. Forget about changing the dash, it'l never be rattle free.

Hope this helps.