Sign in to follow this  
Stan 24v

Mates Passat needs help

My mate has been told his turbo on his 98 R reg 1.8T has given up the ghost. Hes been quoted some extortionate prices to get it sorted.

Anyone here offer any advice? Gav?

He lives in Norwich but has just started working in Preston at the same place as me.

Cheers :)

Who made the diagnosis???

They are known to BLOW. I have seen them with worn out bearings on TDIs at Awesome.

Is it just no boost or what?

Turbos not that pricey in the scheme of things. Maybe 3-400. fitting not that bad AFAIK. Doable on a jack and axle stands.

Gavin

A place called Clive Attall in Norwich, tuning place apparently. He replaced a valve for £50, and it made no difference.

Its got no boost at all. The guy said the turbo was knack'd - no boost.

No light on either.

Any ideas mate?

A place called Clive Attall in Norwich, tuning place apparently. He replaced a valve for £50, and it made no difference.

Its got no boost at all. The guy said the turbo was knack'd - no boost.

No light on either.

Any ideas mate?

Tell him to take the pipes of either side of the turbo and have shuftie inside. A boroscope might be a good idea?

If it is donald though, I reckon it'll be obvious. The bearing susually go in them from what I have seen at Awesome. The turbine can't spin so you get no boost. It might have lost all the blades off the impeller or turbine. Although I am sure you would hear that floating about!!!!

l

It would bve worth having the ECU read with VAG-COM. Not sure if anyone near by has it? Ipswich may be the closest place, there is a thread about VAG-COM holders.

IMO with modern dubs, you gotta check what the ECU says is wrong before replacing bits.

Another place he might try is Vince at Scole Engineering in Diss. Dave G and I both rate him. He does some nice work and doesn't shout about it.

Gavin

Dont think so. he has been really busy lately, and a bit short on dough til next month. I'll tell him to check though.

In fact, he's going to scole to see vince, so Im sure he'll check it out.