Sign in to follow this  
cookie 1.8 16 valver

Sorting Mixtures on 1.8 16 valver and new dizzy fitting

Hi Guys

Weekend at last which means work on the car time now :)

Got lots sorted on this beast over the last few days and rectified the bodge jobs which have been done.

I need to sort the mixture out now as I have the car idling almost smooth but there is more black smoke then off a burning oil tanker !

I have searched but cant find any easy way of sorting the mixture out, does anyone know how to sort it without taking it to the stealers ?

Also I need to replace the dizzy and i know you need 1 on TDC, is their an easy way to do this / tell ?

Thanks guys

Dave

3mm allen key, down between the rubber elbow and metering head. anti clockwise to weaken.

Is it a new dizzy? or a second hand beast, if second hand you might need a new o ring.

Assuming that it's a 16v Replacing the dizzy is almost as easy as falling off a bike!! well, sort of, if you mark the old units position on the head, it doesn't matter how the engine is left rotation-wise, undo the two 10 mm bolts holding it in and pull it out, the new unit can only fit with the rotor arm in the correct position for the engine due to the off-centre coupling, push it in so that it is fully engaged, now you can rotate it till the marks from the old distributor line up, bolts in, swap the ht leads(i left mine connected to the old cap for reference till i was finished) and bob's your auntie. it might be worth checking with a timing light, but it shouldn't be too far out.

Great guys, thanks. will have a go today, unfortunetely dont have a CO sensor so gonna have to temporary adjust it for now and take it in the garage to get it properly checked, unless anyone else has any other suggestions.

I doubt it's rounded mate, it'll be full of muck. You can't adjust it with the engine running cos the weight of the allen key affects the plate movement and you may also bend the arm the plate is on. More often than not it stalls anyway. You can probably strip the metering head if you are confident. And clean out the bolt and try again

If you have a long enough allen key, giving it a calibrate shove usually gets it in far enough to do the adjusting. Just don't go mad.

Gavin