Sign in to follow this  
Hank_Marvin

Corrado help needed for a wannabe corrado owner

Hi

I was wondering if anybody could give me some advice on buying a corrado as i've never owned one before. Currently own a VW Polo 1.4. The corrado's i'm interested in are the 1.8's and 2.0's, but i'm really not sure which one is best for mpg, performance, insurance, reliability, equipment, availability of parts and age. Also not sure what to look out for, should i even look at corrado's with 100k+ miles and what to make sure of, i've read about engine rebuilds at 100k and g60 rebuilds. And do i look for a corrado thats not been modified at all and everything just stock.

I've looked at the buying tips guides on this forum but really just need more advice on buying the 1.8's and 2.0's.

Thanks in advance, cant wait to buy one

due to your age a 1.8 will be best to insure because your probably going to get spanked.

the 1.8 and 2.0 are pretty bombproof engines i hear, do fairly good mpg too.

equipment varies across the range, most have electric everything though!

the g60 will cost a fortune to maintain and run so i'd avoid that unless you think you can cope.

100km isnt a problem im running a g60 with 127k on the clock and its fine!

maybe consider an 8v? cheap to insure with a good spec on it just not got a very powerful engine.

hope that helps

You could spend a lot on a tidy 2.0l or very little on a shoddy example if you don't need to rely on it and don't mind doing some work. Generally you tend to get what you pay for.

Mpg on the 2.0l is'nt bad really, i've had 42mpg on the motorway but i don't really pay much attention as i'm sure you won't at first after having a 1.4 Polo, i know i had a 1.4 mk3 golf before i got my corrado.

As for parts and general worries, you can't fault the forum i just wish i'd found it sooner, could have saved me £££££'s, they see a girl in a corrado pull up and its the equivalent of a lottery win.

thanks for your super fast responce. what do the 8V's come in, i've seen 2.0 8V's but cant remember seeing 8V 1.8's, can u get them. so need i not worry about engine rebuilds. thanks

2.0 8v's only avalible on late plates usually M&N reg. Be corrado looks for cheapest running costs.

Doubt you will find one in Norwich

Also pete you said the 8V isn't very powerful, is that because you have driven better, would is seem powerful to me as i've only driven 1L micra and 1.4 Polo. cheers.

moneypit: is sort of £2500 enuf for a good example, not sure whether to sell my polo to raise some cash or keep it while im sorting out problems with a corrado, then sell polo later on once i can rely on the corrado. thanks

yeah only 2.0 8v. theyre the slowest rado, but they do come nicely speced.

1.8 16v's and 2.0 16v's are basically the same performance wise, the 2.0 has a bit more bhp but is restricted by a cat.

on the plus side i think a 1.8 is just the golf 16v engine so parts are easy.

Alright mate, the Corrado can be a great car to own but not without it's headaches! Depending on your budget a lot of the C's will have done around the 100K mark now but this isn't to say they are no good.

To be fair I think it is a case of "luck of the draw".

I would only be concerned about modified C's if you are intending to keep the car as a future collectors' item, as a standard one will obviously be worth a lot more in time!

If you know a decent mechanic who would check a potential purchase over then do it (or pay the AA £300 to do an extensive test!)

Full service history is a plus but not necessarily if it is VW service history!

Never jump in and buy the first car you see no matter how much you want to, take your time and look around, maybe travelling further than you would like, a beauty could be that extra few miles away.

Good luck mate

MB

theres a 1.8 g60 in near me thats done 180k and is £1400, looks bit tatty with faded red colour, but may be ok, i guess its cheap because of the milage. think i may hav to travel around a bit to find a good 1.

I nearly bought an overpriced and accident damaged one because i'm quite impulsive, glad i didn't because the next one i saw was mine.

be VERY careful with g60's mVERY VERY VERY careful.

they are fast and great fun, and make a superb noise but like i said they cost a bomb.

i dunno about 180k it really depends if its all been serviced right, if its standard and the charger has been serviced regularly and its been looked after it could be a bargain. or it could be a total nail.

yes i read about the aa test, its a lot of money if the car aint no good and you don't buy it. i think maybe the 1.8 16V is best for me probably. so i guess i'll have to wait for one. theres one on auto trader 1.8 16v 67k looks like its in london from pictures and distance and its bout £3000 but possibly little more than wot i wanna spend. what would you lot say is a ok price to pay for a fairly decent 1.8 16v. thanks

£2k should pick you up a fairly good valver. should be around the low 100k high 90's probably. check the cars for sale forum here, i tihnk there's a black valver for sale. be worth getting a forum members car!

Yes the AA check is a lot of cash but if you are on the brink of buying a certain C that £300ish might save you a world of pain!!

I would expect to pay around £1500-2000 for a 1.8 16v (around 100K) in good cond. and a years MOT & TAX.

ok thanks i reckon i can easy afford that kinda price, just hope i find one now, could get a lot of that with my polo. you no any sites that show the mpg of corrado's. one thing is im real worried bout gettin some insurance, hope its not to much, if it is mite hav to hang on to polo for another year.

AFAIK the Ins. group on a 1.8 16v is 15, so depending on your circumstances it might not be too bad.

Elephant.co.uk are the best for me but you do need to pay the total in one lump sum!

yer i've always paid in one lump sum so should be ok. so the 1.8 16v is still a good car then, just not as fast as the g60 and vr6. thanks

Yep a great car, obviously doesn't have the raw power of the VR but still has the same appeal, great looks and handling.

You will not be disappointed, have fun looking

Hi, I have a 1.8 16v for sale. Click here for details

The asking price is £1700 but I'm willing to take sensible offers as I need to get rid of it quickly (to make space on the drive for the VR6).

It is a really good car, in really good condition, since I've had it I've sorted out a few little niggles and it runs great now. The only bad point is that it has been keyed. If it hadn't been keyed I'd be asking £1900-£2000.

Take a look and PM me if you want any more details.......

thanks for that blackcat. any more details on recent services and engine info. do all the electrics work.

what do you guys think of it.

thanks

welcome to the forum. You can't go wrong with the valver but at the risk of a back lash, have you considered the golf mk2 16v gti? also a very good car. mpg obviously depends on a lot of things but make sure you give it a good service and persevere if it gives you probs, they are old cars now after all. Had my vr up to 37.8mpg the other day after a full service! and was not grannying it, up to 110 down a lane.