Sign in to follow this  
jamest

help have destroyed sump!!

help!

i bottomed out on a bad bit of road yesterday and now the sump is leaking and the car is undriveable!!!

how much will/should it cost to replace the sump and is it an easy job to diy it?!?

been qouted £195 and the guy said the driveshaft needs removing to get at sump hence the high labour rates- is this true?

anyone know where can i get a cheap sump and gasket from?!

help needed and appreciated...

SORRY CAR IS 1995 GOLF VR6 NOT CORRADO!

I'd go to the dealers for the replacement sump and gasket to be honest?

I'm not sure what the setup looks like on the Golf but if it similar to the C (which surely it is) then the sump comes off easily (after removing 20 odd small bolts!). I changed my sump gasket some time back in no time at all. Check under the car yourself, it will be easy to see if there are any obstructions.

If not then do it yourself and save time and money!

Cheers

MB

think the setup would be pretty similar- cant think of any reason why it would be different. Any idea of the tension to get the bolts to?

or is it just "tight as ..."

cheers

No!!

The bolts must be tightened to 20Nm (15 ft lb), anymore and the sump pan can distort and lead to leakage, any less and the same applies!!

Could well be very wrong (apologies if I am) but I was told once that there is an order in which to tighten the bolts other wise the sump can distort?

Ive had the sump off a few times to change the pump and the big end shells, and just tighted up the bolts in no real particualr sequence never had a problem, I am pretty sure as well that the 8v sump will fit as I look exactly the same, I could be wrong here so best to check, but if it is you can pick up a reasonable sump from the scrappy for next to nothing, and you definatley dont have to remove the driveshafts, well not on any motor ive seen anyway. :wink:

You could be right, but would say you won't go far wrong by tightening every 3rd or 4th bolt until you have gone round 2 or 3 times and you should be fine.

My experience of doing a sump in the floor can be a pain as really a third hand would be useful.

didnt read that you had a vr6 though so I guess the 8v sump wont fit (Doh) still worth a check in the scrappy. havent looked underneath one of these so maybe the driveshafts are in the way, cant imagine it though, even if they are, no big hassle to take them out...