Sign in to follow this  
matt buz

insurance - alarm question

hey

I have a factory alarm and imobilizer on my C. I am changing insurance companies and they want to see documentation that it is a CAT 1 alarm/imobilizer.

Firstly - Is it?

Secondly - Can I get this info if it is

Thirdly - How much extra can i expect to pay if it isnt?

Fourthly - Anyone know of a best/cheapest alarm/imobilizer thats a CAT1

Also the names of some other insurers would be good.

Cheapest I can get is 465 from Allen & Allen. Have tried Tesco, Norwich Union, AA, Admiral, Churchill, Endsleigh, HIC and they are all around the 600 mark.

Thanks all

Matt

How do you know its got a factory fitted imob?

What car is it?

Some companies will not insure unless you've got the imobiliser (Morethan ins) - many dont seem to care about a CAT1. CAT1's tend to lock all doors etc automatically upon arming - not that this help you on the phone to them.

Im with Norwich Union Direct for near to £400 tpft. All the above mentioned quoted nearer to 1,000

I had the same situation when I got mine, as I didn't have any documentation of what it was. I went along to the local stealers to ask them to "inspect" the alarm, and write what it was, and that it worked, on some letterheaded paper. Worked a treat, and was free [now that's a first!! :| ]

Edit: Factory alarm btw...that's why the VW people could recognise it.

I had the same situation when I got mine, as I didn't have any documentation of what it was. I went along to the local stealers to ask them to "inspect" the alarm, and write what it was, and that it worked, on some letterheaded paper. Worked a treat, and was free [now that's a first!! :| ]

Edit: Factory alarm btw...that's why the VW people could recognise it.

Yep, this is what previous owner of my vr did, got a headed vw letter stating it is a cat 1 alarm.

Oh, and someone once told me that alarms can 'lose' their CAT status if the manufacturer does not keep up the annual fees to Thatcham.

Not sure if this is true.

Tried Adrian Flux for the insurance?....best by a country mile when I last renewed.

Just got a quote from the above - £338 Fully Comp!!! Think I will have some of that. Cheers Anubis!

just got my insurance sorted with brentacre, cheaper than flux and felt a more personal service.i need to get a health check on my alarm to keep the certificate up to date. £30 is what its costing

just got my insurance sorted with brentacre, cheaper than flux and felt a more personal service.i need to get a health check on my alarm to keep the certificate up to date. £30 is what its costing

Oh, and someone once told me that alarms can 'lose' their CAT status if the manufacturer does not keep up the annual fees to Thatcham.

Not sure if this is true.

Absolutely, it's in their interest to sell the newer models, so something that was a CAT1 5 years ago may not be now. It is guarenteed to keep it's CAT1 status for the person who had it installed though.

Back OT, a Cobra Cat 1 Alarm and Immob can be fitted for £300, but if your insurance co. is happy with just a leter from VW, then go wih that. Try Lancaster Insurance for a quote as well, as I found them very helpful (and cheap).

Cheers,

Tom