Sign in to follow this  
Yandards

Lightened Flywheel for 16v G60

Hello all,

Am building a 16v G60 and would like to lighten the flywheel as well as having it balanced.

Don't want to advance the idle above 900rpm to keep the engine idling so I would like to know a ball park figure for how much lighter to make the flywheel, my random guess is 10% but not sure what effect the charger load is going to have at idle.

Specs of build are below:

Standard charger

Ported and flowed KR head

Merc sprinter intercooler

Balanced con-rods, crankshaft (with clutch and flywheel fitted), oil input shaft and cams.

Gasket ported Audi RS2 intake manifold

Audi RS2 conrods

Ported throttle body

Gasket ported KR exhaust manifold

JMR downpipe onto miltek system

325cc injectors

Rising rate FPR

i wouldnt balance the engine with the clutch in place as when the clutch wares it will go out of balance or if you replace it, it will go out of balance

Now on you r question, the G60 flywheel is HUGE and heavy, you can take about 1/3 out of it and its still going to idle at a respectable speed.

What ecu are you using for the conversion? G60 is it?

Using an early digifant ecu. Looked at some of the more sophiscated managment systems but its just too much money right now and I would rather spend it on 'box mods when I do get it.

A whole third lighter! sounds good to me.

What if I get the crank balanced with the clutch cover and flywheel and leave the clutch out?

My 16v flywheel is half the original weight.Think it weighed 18 somethings and now it weighs 9 somethings

I've just finished my 9A,2.0 16v.G60,started first turn of the key,i also installed a lightened OE G60 flywheel with a stronger modified clutch,i haven't taken the car on the road yet because i'm also renovating the bodywork but i can assure you that the engine revs/picks up like a motor bike engine,i too am using digi injection but i'm having tuning issues.

Phoned stealth reference a clutch and they recommended using a VR one instead so going to do that.

How much did you lighten your flywheel by VEEDUBBED?

I did'nt actually weigh the flywheel before it was lightened,i just took it down to a local engineering place and told them to take off as much as safely possible without worrying about the flywheel exploding,but before i installed it i grabbed hold of a spare 16valve flywheel in one hand and had the lightend one in the other,i guesstimate that the G60 lightened flywheel weighed half compared to the OE valver one.

I've also used a VR6 PP and had the machine shop lathe a couple of mm's off the pressure plate to provide more clamping pressure.

I'll be posting up pictures of the finished car soon,when you've finished your engine do the same mate.

our bottom ends get lightend with crank/flywheel/ckutch-plate/ and pulleys in place.

the flywheels are i think off the top of my head 38% lighter i would need to check this though with the data at work.