reaper1_3

Suspension

Well decided im going to drop the rado, i am looking for a drop of about 40mm. whilst doing that going to upgrade the struts as well and was wondering what everyones thoughts where on which is a reasonable priced set up?

Been quoted £700 quid for koni struts and springs fitted... seems abit steep to me?

Thanks

WHAT, thats well pricey i would but some a decent socket set and set of spring clamps and do the rears yourself (best way to learn is to do it yourself), get the fronts done by the local a garage as is much easier fro them to do the fronts with an air gun due to the depth of the front strut nuts and the front camber will need checking too anyway. Doing it this this way you'll learn how to do the work yourself and you won't get stung as much by your local garage as they will be only doing half the work. :D

I take it the shocks are adjustable on dampening?

do it your self! easy (ish) just need the right tools and a weekend. Ill post a list in the morning. £700 is far to much, you could be getting coilovers for that price and have change (well a bit). Have you looked at the likes of eurocarparts or GFS as they have some good lowering kits.

reaper1_3, it's nasty... avoid it... Bouncy, crashy and just generally not good.

The streetline kit is the budget kit ECP do and as with most things you get what you pay for...

ECP also sell a Bilstein suspension kit called sprintline - more expensive but a much better quality set up as it uses the pukka shortened Bilstein gas shockers and matched springs.

I fitted a kit to a Mk2 8V GTI and it lowered it perfectly by 40mm and I was hugely impressed by the ride quality - not much firmer than OE.

No idea if a Corrado version is available but if it is it's worth considering based on my experience of it.

Tools :

Slotted nut (http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=28525)

22mm spanner and smaller spanners 13-18mm (I think you wil need 17mm)

I find one of these works well for the top nut – (http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=17212)

Socket set

Torque wrench

Alan keys (8mm I think)

Spring compressors.

New top mounts and bumpstops.

Basically this is how I would do it, if anyone has any other info please add or correct me…

Front:

Using the oxygen sensor socket and a 8mm alan key undo the top nut from the engine bay. The springs will be kept compressed by the slotted nut.

You will now need to remove the 2 bolts that hold the bottom of the strut to the wheel assembly. Using the socket set and a spanner undo the bolts, I have used them again but you may want to get new ones.

At this point remove the abs sensor wire and rubber hose from the strut. The strut should be removable.

You will need to compress the springs at this point. Now using the slotted nut tool undo the slotted nut and remove the top mount and related rubbers etc. REMEMBER the order of washers/nuts/spring plates for re-assembly.

Fit new spring/ damper insert and re assemble the with new bump stop / top mount.

You will have to torque the nuts up to:

19mm nuts = 80 Nm

18mm nuts = 95 Nm

slotted nut = 40 Nm

top nut = 60 Nm (I think)

To be honest I just do em all up nice and tight..

Rears:

You will not need to compress the rear springs.

Top mounts are generally ok but may as well replace them as the struts are off.

replace the bump stops.

The rears are easy to do. You only need to undo the top nut (best to remove the rear parcel shelf supports to make room. Unbolt the bottom nut but support the rear beam. Remove the strut and replace with new spring/strut and redo as reverse of removal.

The most important thing is to remember the order you remove things.

Hope this guide helps give you an idea of how easy it can be.

I have Weitec springs and shocks and I'm quite happy with them. But to be honest I bought the car like this and so I have no experience of other suspension to compare it to.

they look like enough of a bargain, might bid on them myself now!

Changing the suspension is a doddle, setting up the front geometry is more tricky and the front top mounts are offset so be careful to set them exactly the same as each other, this adjustment is mainly for the caster effect, do a google search about this, it will help your understanding of the effect on handling or the car.

Chris

You should be fine the corrado is all fixed geometry (well mine is), so as long as you dont go to low you dont have to get the adjustable camber bolts. I agree with 'Blow me' they look like a good price