Sign in to follow this  
Blair

New car wanted...but what to buy?

Well, I originally fancied a GolfIV V6 4Motion - but having spoken to a guy who owned one, I'm not so sure now. Lovely car, love the interior, love the V6, love the AWD, love the fact it's a good motorway cruiser (it's got to be my company car as well - I took the "cash" option rather than paying through the nose in tax to drive an Astra 1.4....!).

However, he said it understeered quite badly and was never really any fun to drive. Hmmmm. Could be tough going from a Corrado to that then...and also quite thirsty by all accounts (if it can manage about the same as the G60 - 30mpg - I'd be happy).

The other car tempting me is the Leon Cupra R - for obvious reasons :) Not keen on the interior though, and not entirely convinced it would make a great motorway cruiser.

Anyone got any inspirational ideas? Budget is 13K-16K (tops). Obviously a 4 grand loan would get me a new Golf GTI, but I'm trying not to succumb to that one!

The BMW 330d has been suggested several times, but I'm not sure I could live with the image...!

What's the engine in that? 1.8T?

Not keen on the look of them to be honest, although I've heard that they're the best sporting car to have come out of the Mk4 floorpan...(some statement given the rating the Cupra R gets...)

Maybe I should drive one before making up my mind...!

i think the leon have the same stature as the corrado so i like 'em :) anyway thats a lot of money so ur gona get a decent car.

Having had a modified Cupra (18"s, Milltek and re-map) - I can say its definitely a comfortable and relaxed motorway car - not very economical though - I struggled to get 28mpg overall and that was when it was standard. Not like I'm heavy footed as I regularly get 31-32 out of my G60. Why not use the Rado - or do you have to have a car under a certain age???

Cupra or vRS.

vRS is an absolute bargain- got a brand new estate on order- black magic pearl paint, heated seats, parking sensors, air bag switch + all the standard toys (climate, CD changer etc) all for £14K! IMHO there is no other brand new performance car that comes close for value.

Obviously wouldn't be BRAND new but.. can you get an R32 in your price range? :)

A new vRS estate for 14k - although great value I'm surprised you couyldn't get one cheaper

andy665, shopped around a fair bit, and it was the best I could find at the time. The standard car without the options was only £13K which is amazingly cheap- list price is around £14.5K for an estate with no options.

Could probably find cheaper now because the new vRS will be out in the Autumn sometime.

Jim, good thinking with the R32- have seen a few for sale around the £15k bracket. Would rather one of these than a new GTI.

Jim, good thinking with the R32- have seen a few for sale around the £15k bracket. Would rather one of these than a new GTI.

Likewise mate. Don't get me wrong, the new GTI is a superb looker and I bet it goes really well but theres just something a lot more muscular about the R32.. just sits, looks, sounds, and goes very well! ;)

Hmm, you've got a nice budget and you could buy more or less anything that you fancy, I personally would be looking at the Fiat Coupe V5 20v Turbo (used obviously) or maybe a 2.8-3.0 Z3 ('01+), a bit hairdressy but a great bit of fun.

Definately stay away from the 4Motion, it has to be one of the most boring, slow, and boring cars I have ever driven, like all Golf's post MkII as far as I'm concerned, although to be fair I haven't tried the R32 or new MkV.

dont get a fiat turbo. A real bag of sh*t! They drive fast for 10 mins but then break down and fall apart.

Get the Bmw diesel.

I think your mistaking the Fiat to a Daihatsu Charade Turbo :D Mechanically the Fiat is fine, just the electrics letting it down slightly, besides with the possible £10K left you could strap a stage 5 turbo to it, and sod it why not a NOS kit too, should give you an easy 400+Bhp :lol:

I assume the company are paying out for insurance?!

No, the company are not paying out for insurance - I get a set amount every month that covers everything bar the fuel!

Jim, yeah, had been thinking about that too :) I've got a made in the trade who might be able to get one at trade price for me, so I may well make enquiries...!

Disappointed to hear the Cupra R struggled to maintain 28mpg even on a run...

The reason I'm planning on replacing the Corrado is the same reason I'd not consider the Fiat to be honest - I don't really want to pile the miles on an old car as it can start to bring all the niggles out of the woodwork and I need something that's going to be reliable. Also, with the Corrado, I dunno - I just feel bad about stacking loads of business miles on it when it's at 111K; at the moment that's a reasonably low mileage for a '92 car and it could make a great buy for someone to run as a cherished motor rather than a workhorse.

Having said that, it IS tempting just to keep it for the time being at least...!!!

What's the engine in the Octavia vRS? 1.8T? 225bhp?

get something dull as shit thats 12months old, some kinda diesel, (gt tdi?) then spunk the rest on your corrado :D

Yeah, a Golf TDI 150 was one thought - drove one back-to-back with the V6 and the performance felt pretty similar, although the V6 sounded just SO much better :)

Got no driveway though, so 2 cars is a no-no right now :(

Get a TDI 150 and get it remapped up at Stealth.. 200BHP and 300lb/ft.. bye bye V6!

But you're right.. the noise just doesn't compare at all! :(

Blair, the vRS has the 1.8T 180bhp lump- same as the 180bhp TT (the 225bhp TT has a bigger KO4 turbo, but the same engine). Jabba do a really good remap etc that takes it up to 215-235bhp (depending on other mods etc).

"I personally would be looking at the Fiat Coupe V5 20v Turbo"

Can one of the Mods please ban the use of this cars name on the forum - please

Seriously though a nice 330d or 330i would be very nice for motorway driving. The 330d has as much torque as a 355 and does diesel mpg.

For an all rounder to use on country roads, motorways, showing off etc how about a nice S4? Thats probably what I'd be driving if I had to do more than 6-8k per year as I can walk to work! 6-8k is purely driving pleasure

Thanks Andy - same engine as the Leon Cupra then! I drove my mate's Cupra and thought it was a lovely car, the performance felt about the same as my G60. I suppose I might need something a bit quicker - might have to sacrifice the mpg for the gpm (grins per mile :) )

330d...might have to test one. I just don't like the image though...could I live with being a 3-series driver?

Hm.. Audi S4...

V Reg AUDI S4 2.7 Bi Turbo 265 BHP

Manual 6 speed, Saloon, 61,000 miles, Silver. Full leather interior, Bose sound system, xenon lights, ESP Stability control, Full electric windows, Service history, Climate Control, Adjustable Steering Column, airbag double + side, Anti-Lock Brakes, armrest, Carbon fibre style dash, Headlight washers, CD player, central doorlocks with remote control, exellent condition, fog lights, Four wheel drive, Leather Steering Wheel, sport interior, Sports Steering Wheel, Computer, Electric mirrors, Electric windows.

£11,995

I know it's not on topic for this purpose but the S4 requires a relatively small budget to see 320-350 bhp while keeping the reliability i.e. no over-sized turbo's/NOS, just use AMD, Milltek and K&N (for example of course)