Sign in to follow this  
boosted187

20v. head

hey guys more dumb questions,

does a vw 20 v head (1.8 turbo)fit on the older 1.8/2.0 blocks(90-92)?if you need to modify ,what needs doing?

Yup mate, it'll fit although you'll have to plug up some of the oil return holes at the back of the head. This is due to the fact that the 20v head is wider than the normal ones and the oil return holes hang over the back.

Bloody 'ell lads, why so optomistic?

The main reason for not doing it is that you'll need new manifolds or adaptors to fit any original stuff to it, or you'll need manifolds for carbs or throttle bodies, management etc etc and you'll have to remove your pistons and machine a new slot in the top to avoid contact with the extra valve....but apart from that, then yes, they do just bolt on(with the exception of you having to plug the holes).

Not to be funny, but having read some of the replies to other topics and questions asked, theres alot of people amongest most of the forums who shouldn't even be changing their own brake pads due to their lack of compitance.

I only replied to this as I have access to the machines to do the job, and am capable to do it. Its not rocket science, and is relatively easy if your mechanically minded and know of a competent machine shop. Oh, and have a bit of cash hanging about.

It's not spelled compitance.

;)

Only kidding mate.

So what sort of gains would you get for all of this time, effort and cash? Just out of curiosity.

Look at Graham Vanstones car. He's running a 2 litre bottom end with a normally aspirated 20v head, modified cams, throttle bodies and managment and he's pushing out 200bhp at the WHEELS. What else can I say...

Happy dubbing for him!!

thanx for the replies guys.i guess the 20v. experience is going to have to wait till the funds are available for intake and exaust manifolds...

Look at Graham Vanstones car. He's running a 2 litre bottom end with a normally aspirated 20v head, modified cams, throttle bodies and managment and he's pushing out 200bhp at the WHEELS. What else can I say...

Happy dubbing for him!!

That car is amazing. The install is exceptional. He built that some years ago and it's still going strong. A real testament to his ability and choice of components.

Kev