Sign in to follow this  
VR6

Front cross member rad supprt thingy....

Does that make sense?

The lateral piece of bodywork that sits below the rad .... I've heard that most of them have become rotten by now.

Other than finding one that's in good condition, are there any alternatives?

Yes i know what you're on about - front valance is what its refered to i believe.

Seems they were put on with a poor coat of paint and therefore rot away, best thing you can do is get a new one, give it a good coat of red oxide primer aswell as grey primer and top coat to make sure it doesn't happen again .............

It didn't suggest any alternatives other than buying a new one for £400 :p

got one for about £25 from a scrappy with only a small amount of rust as mine was shot through. So worth asking around local yards as they do come up

the rad support itslef is a mk2 golf item, but the corrad one has a few more bits welded to it.

which bit rots? mine is fine.

VR6, PM keystarG60 and ask him - i'm sure he didn't end up paying that much in the end and i'm sure he'll be happy to help out

mine wasnt in bad condition just a few bits of rust, wirebrushed it off and slapped on a ton of waxoyl and underseal.

VR6, yeah Carpoid's right. A new crossmember panel from VW (535199171G) is £175 ish

The lifespan of this part on peoples cars seems to vary in a huge way. Some cars dont have a problem at all, however mine was completely rusted through with large portions coming away in my hand!!!

I had mine replaced along with all the rubbers that go between it and the engine carrier beneath. The new item was given a coat of protective paint or primer and then covered in waxoil once fitted.

You will also need to replace the PAS fluid as this line has a route through the crossmember panel.

Starky

Supercharged, yeah replaced mine last year. Wolsey provided the bits with quite a health discount. MJS in Ipswich did the work. Happy with the result. I have a ETKA printout of all the parts involved if needed?

Starky

Thread resurection, just ordered this part at £160 + vat which fits the late G60 / 16V etc... I decided mine really is knackered as it has been since I got the car - might as well buy a new one while I can!

Suprisingly rusty considering the crossmember below that holds the front engine mount almost comes up like new!

Rubber bushes were fairly perished so replacing these along with all bolts etc.

Thread resurection, just ordered this part at £160 + vat which fits the late G60 / 16V etc... I decided mine really is knackered as it has been since I got the car - might as well buy a new one while I can!

Suprisingly rusty considering the crossmember below that holds the front engine mount almost comes up like new!

Rubber bushes were fairly perished so replacing these along with all bolts etc.

So they are readily availible from vag? mine is rotted through :?

Is the part number as above?

Are the rubber bushes the ones in the front cross member?

Hi mate - yeah it's readily available but on back order... I wanted it for today but it's hopefully coming next week!

GPC will do it for £160 + vat + postage (making it £200) so it was slightly cheaper thru my mate at the dealer but yeah the full rrp is £231 inc vat I think!

The part number above is late G60 the early ones used a different one so I would check your chassis number with them before you order

The only dealer in the country showing stock is Gilders in Rotheram, my mate phoned them to see if they'd transfer it and basically they couldn't be bothered with the hastle, I then called themthe next day to see if they'd sent it direct to me after a credit card payment and they wouldn't do anything on the price at all and said it would have to be collected - feckers!! I can see why VW dealers get such a bad rep with people like that!

Cheers supercharged I'll have to see if i can pull some strings with buddies at vw :lol: I'll definately check my chassis number but should be right, my G is a '92 :D