Sign in to follow this  
bigbroony

Dodgy airflow meter?

Hi there, I've just registered 'cos even though I've had the car for 6 months I just discovered the site by accident yesterday.When I had the car dignosed on the computer( I remember when they only got tuned ) theairflow meter showed a fault code.Although the guy cleared it he assured me it would return and I needed a new one.Before I splash out (even for a second hand one ) I was wondering if anyone could tell me how the car runs so well if the meter is u/s.The only way it seems to be out is that the fuel consumption is a tad heavy.I'm comparing it to my 8v golf which is used on similar journeys.

bigbroony what car you running. vr6/g60 or 16v. Just because the ecu retained a fault code it doesnt always mean the part is broken, the ecu will often pick up several fault codes at a service, which are just erased. Just have the car checked again and check the codes again before replacing parts. :D

If it's a VR6, they generally only show up on the diagnostic when it's pretty much dead. The engine will still run but it'll operate so far out of range, performance and economy will both take a hit.

Kev

:lol: i had mine changed on my VR it cost more than the ICS unit :shock:

Don't buy a second hand mass air flow, as you never know how long they will last

even if it looks clean....

Thanks guys, its a 2.0l 16v by the way.I i may just do the sensible thing ieDO NOTHING at least until I've had it checked again.