Sign in to follow this  
LowG

urgent help needed pls!!!!!!!!!

my g60 is making some knocking sound and it has lost power,its not from the charger as i have taken the charger belt off and the noise is still there,what could this be?? sounds as it is coming from the outlet manifold,it idles fine,im so scared as its just before im will depart for a long trip,anyone got any ideas?? rgds

I would arrange some alternate transportation for your long trip just in case.....

Important: does the knocking speed up and slow down exactly matched with the engine RPM? If yes, then its obviously somehting mechanically internal to the engine that's gone pop, not just a rattling cat heat shield (common)

I would also pull the spark plugs and take a look if any are white or sooty/oily (they should all be light tan colour)

Then I would do a dry compression test on all cylinders, and a wet test if any are abnormal to see if its rings or valves.

Let us know how it goes..

Skye

ok checked the plugs and they seem fine,idle is ok ,boost on iddle is 740 on the mfa,my boost pipe popped of yesterday,im screwd :x

where is the sound coming from??

Use a ratchet end or a metal pole and put it on some surfaces (engine block, charger, water pump etc etc) and see if you can feel the vibration from the knock in the pole, try and locate it.

Hope you can get it sorted man :cry:

Does the knocking match the engine RPM tho??

That is, does the knocking get faster when you rev the engine

Have you done/had done any engine work recently ??

Does engine still idle if you disconnect blue temp sensor while it's running ??

Thinking along lines of possible cambelt/timing problem

Can you tell if its more top(rattly tinny sound, fast) or bottom(heavy loud thuds) end thats noisey.

Like stevemac said it could poss be timing out this will cause a misfire and pre-det causing knocking sound.(this would be the nicest outcome for you)

:(

Like stevemac said it could poss be timing out this will cause a misfire and pre-det causing knocking sound.

Incorrect timing on a G60 will not necessarily cause a misfire or pinking. The ECU takes a signal from the blue temp sensor and a signal from the knock sensor. If required, it then electronically retards the timing to prevent pinking. Incorrect timing would, however, cause your lack of power even though the car may idle perfectly well.

Disconnecting the blue temp sensor while the engine is running will disable this corrective timing by the ECU. If the car still runs when the sensor is disconnected then it's not a timing problem

I was thinking more along the lines of some form of timing pulley or belt problem which may have caused the timing to be more severely out of adjustment (possible knocking noise).

Without actually hearing the noise it's very difficult to say what it might be.

Not sure if this has been done before :scratch:

LowG - do you have access to a laptop computer & a microphone/headphones ??

Thinking maybe you could plug the microphone/headphones into the microphone socket on the laptop. Take this outside to your car, record the knocking noise and then post it on the group :idea:

Stevemac, so if you place the cam timing one/two teeth out, you wouldnt get a misfire :? . i think you would mate as the knock and ecu couldnt correct that much, and thats why you would get a knocking noise like i said and was merely going on long with idea you had already said. I didnt mention the word igintion timing once mate. :shock:

LowG any news yet mate on the problem :D

:D From experience I have found that you wont necessarily get a misfire if it is a tooth or 2 retarded ( as mine was! ) but if it's more than a tooth out advanced then you will get a misfire when you put the engine under load!! When I was having a little play when I was putting my car back to the standard cam settings even when I had advanced it by about a tooth it never knocked so I dont think that could be the problem as stevemac has already said the knock sensor just backs off the ignition timing to cope with it. Migs could it be a worn tappet making the racket as vw's are prone to the oldrattly tappets with reasonable milage on them or could be something like a sticky valve they they can also make a knocking noise. The first thing to establish is if it is coming from the top end or the bottom end of the engine then you can start narrowing possibilties from there. Hope you get it sorted mate!!!

Stevemac, so if you place the cam timing one/two teeth out, you wouldnt get a misfire :? . i think you would mate as the knock and ecu couldnt correct that much, and thats why you would get a knocking noise like i said and was merely going on long with idea you had already said. I didnt mention the word igintion timing once mate. :shock:

Please read the WHOLE post.

I was thinking more along the lines of some form of timing pulley or belt problem which may have caused the timing to be more severely out of adjustment (possible knocking noise).

Quote taken from my earlier post.