Sign in to follow this  
Riley

quick g60 gsf parts question,before i set off.

alright guys :)

just priced up the following at my local gsf for a 92 g60.

stat-£4.50+vat

seal-£1.00

fan switch-3 pin? - £7.95 3 pin sound right?

blue temp sensor-£6.90 are these ok from gsf?

coolant - do i need the blue or pink? he said he thinks i need the pink as its genuine vw stuff? i asked about g12+? and he didnt know what i meant.

throttle body gaskets-said he dosnt do them? dealer only part?

anything else i could get while im there?

cheers,neil.

TBH mate i would buy at least the stat in VW...for the sake of a few quid, my faith in GSF has wavered recently.

As for the G12+, thats just typical of GSF staff mate....they do sell it, i bought some from there last week.

TBH, I'd say spend the extra and get a Neuspeed stat - if you're intending to anyway, and just need a working stat til you get it, then do test the GSF one before installing it!

cheers guys may pop into vw on the way for the stat,seems to be a differing opinion about the cooler stats on a cgti topic :roll:

is it the g12+ i definately need then? pink?

hows about the bts,ok from gsf?

cheers.

Hmmm, I got a temp sender from GSF and it turned out to be totally wrong for my car! Though this could be cos mine's a bit of an oddity (2.0 8V with aircon)...

I would seriously recommend the lower temp stat though, unreservedly; but with a standard temp fan switch... This way the temp is lower, but the fans aren't cutting in all the time...!

What are they saying on cgti then?

cheers dinkus,am i right in thinking that g12 is ok if the wrong stuff hasnt been used before but the g12+ will mix and be ok?

What are they saying on cgti then?

that standard is best as vw should know what they are doing,can see there point i suppose. :?

id agree about the lower temp fan switch though,i think itll kinda defeat the object with the fan being on more and throwing hot air all around the engine bay.

neil.

G12+ will mix with anything and it's the only stuff you can get now as G11 and G12 aren't made any more.

that standard is best as vw should know what they are doing,can see there point i suppose. :?

But that's like saying you shouldn't modify any area of the engine as VW know best...!

If yr running more boost, etc, then it's better to keep the temps a bit lower, would you not think? Hence why people fit Mocal oil coolers and such - do the cgti boys thinkyou shouldn't do that either?!

:lol: i know m8,i can see both sides.

just gonna get the standard one for now as i need it back on the road asap.

does the lower one affect the warming up period as in taking lonfer to get to running temp?

cheers,neil.

Nope, oil and coolant comes up to temp just the same as normal, cos the stat only opens at 80deg, so up til then it's exactly the same as with a standard stat...

Have to say though, was pleased to see coolant at 80 and oil at only 114 after a quick stint at 120mph (roads were empty officer, and I'm not showing off, not after seeing the pics on that SEAT forum...)

But the standard stat's fine anyway, I wasn't getting at ya! :D

aye no probs m8 8)

just good to get opinion of people actually 'using them'

what coolant temps were you seeing before the stat?

mine sits at around 100 on hot days like today,normally 70-80 or 90 on cooler days,which seems hot to me :?

neil.

Well, I was having all sorts of cooling issues - there's a big thread on it somewhere - but with a GSF stat and my old heat exchanger I was getting 95deg coolant and 138deg :shock: oil temps at motorway speeds...

Several coolant flushes, a Neuspeed stat, a new heat exchanger, and I'm now seeing 80 coolant and 112 oil on motorways, 85-90 coolant and 108 oil around town - and that's with the weather like it is at the mo!