Sign in to follow this  
Henny

Head work

Hiya guys!

I need some quick advice on heads for G60s...

My head gasket has just started leaking water from the back right corner... It's still drivable, but obviously needs the gasket replacing. :roll:

I'm thinking that seeing as how the car has 200K miles+ on it the head could probably do with a rebuild... I need the car to be off the road for as short a time as possible, so it's gonna be worth my while putting a flowed head on it so I can pretty much do the head swap in an evening as I'll have both heads at the same time... :)

I've spoken to a few companies about this, and Stealth racing look like they could be the favourites at the moment with their Stage2 head (£550+vat)

Anyone got any views on this head, or other things I need to consider? (I've already replaced ALL of the water pipes and flanges, so they're all OK now, it's just the head gasket and head that need sorting...)

Need to know quickly 'cos they're off for a week from tomorrow! :shock:

When getting a performance head, its worth noting whether the price you are quoted includes EVERTHING you need. For example, i was gonna get the TSR equivalent of the head you're after, - the pack C head. This was priced roughly the same price, but turns out that you then needed an additional head fitting pack including bolts,gaskets e.t.c that cost another £150 meaning the head now looked like £700ish. Worth thinking when shopping around...

mambomonkey Thanks for that, The stealth price includes everything except for the head gasket set which I can source cheaply anyway... It'll come in at a smidgen under £700 all in Inc. VAT for everything... I'm not too bothered about this price though but I'm interested to hear peoples opinion... 8)

Cheers!

You should think about getting the followers done, and a new thermostate and obviously new coolant g12 and new oil filter - oil, Try and use a VW headset, I know for my VR it cost 75 quid or thereabouts. New head bolts or even go for competition head bolts.

You nned also to consider the fitting of all that includes the labour, the tensioners if you have any on the G60. You can always get the valves polished if you getting the head ported and polished.

New cam belt, you may as well do all these bits whilst the head is off, more money to outlay but cheaper in the long run.

Other than that, new plugs, leeds and filters all round is what I had done when my head was leeking. The difference you notice when you get the car back is a much crisper engine, better pick up and gererally quieter and when everything is new and cooling properly etc you enjoy driving it more.

Good luck mate!

I let Jogn Mitchell do mine, it took him a week to do as I didnt want him to rush the job so he could take his time and do things properly. He took the head off in one evening and dismantled everything so hes a quick worker and his labour is around £35 an hour. He also gives a forum discount, however, he just did a few extras for me free of charge. He is also good with doing other bits as he goes along,or eevn just tidies little bits up and washess and hoovers your car so you cant complain. I would use him or someone like that mate!

Cheers ramsey

I've already replaced thermostat (as well as fan and pipes and flanges etc!) I had the charger done about 9 months ago and Jabba did all of the tensioners/belts etc when that was done, but I'll sling a new cam-belt on while I'm doing it!

Plugs and leads have also recently been done so other than the head, bolts and gaskets there's not much else I need to change (I've already done most of it! :roll: ) They'll also be genuine bits 'cos I have a mate who can get me them at a Very good price! :wink:

Labour charges aren't an issue, I used to be a mechanic so I can do all of the work myself apart from the actual headwork, but I need the car due to work which is why I want to just buy an exchange one so I can do the whole hit in one day... :D

I'd love John to do my head too, but he's not exactly local to Cheshire is he?!? :lol:

I've heard that in standard form the G60 heads don't flow particularly well, so i'd be interested to know what kind of an improvement your new one makes...- Let us know mate and good luck :D

Thanks ramsey, always nice to hear from a satisfied customer. Headwork is a regular request, and to this end can offer a very attractive package. Irrespective of your location mail carriage closes the distance, and i can mail return your head. I charge £350 for an 8V G60 head to be rebuit, ported and flowed. For a 16V head i charge £450 and VR6 £550, all prices are plus P&P. I can supply gaskets at additional cost as to i can remove and fit. Distance is not a problem these days for such situations, and a good thing to, given the mileage between my location and that of my customers. I would be happy to discuss this matter further and meet your individual requirments.