CaiosG60 PWR

Lambda sensor testing

Now I’ve uploaded that picture. I'm pritty sure I've got my voltmeter set totally wrong! ;-)

The reading seams to depend on where I place the negative lead from the voltmeter. When placed on the alternator casing the volt meter was reading 0.4, which if I've done everything right means my lambda sensors caput! Correct??

You've got the mulitmeter set to measure resistance instead of voltage. Switch it round to 20 in the DCV zone and give it another go.

edit: looks like you have also disconnected the plug from the lambda, you will need to keep it plugged in and stick you multimeter probe in the back of the plug to pick up the signal wire.

see the wire thats isolated at the end (bottom on your pic)

thats signal.

the one you are on ther is either ground or a power wire.

Nice one! With the voltmeter set correctly (thanks golf_20v) I could only get a reading from the one you suggested Gaz.

Think I’ve got it right now. Testing where the arrow points now.

What do you mean exactly Henny? Do I have to leave the plug connected and just read from the wire?

I am getting a reading like this with the plug disconnected but am unsure what to make of it. It started at 0.2 at idle but went really high when revving. Also as the engine warmed up the idle reading went up.

CaiosG60 PWR, ignore me, I was being thick... I'll edit my post... :oops:

I'm not sure you where Henny!

Having just read mk2_20vt edited post I think I know what you meant.

Its me being thick! Dooooo :lol: :lol: I'm off outside to try again! ;-)

ah, OK, that was what I meant... :roll:

I thought I'd mis-understood how the probe worked for a moment then... :oops:

Right finally worked it out now!

I'm getting a reading that cycles from 0.18 lowest to 0.89 highest over roughly a second. That means its okay and everything’s working correctly then, right?

So it really does use that much fuel! :lol:

Here's a picture of how I measured it.

I also have problems with my lambda probe.

I've tried a few things but haven't solved it yet and i'm getting smoke and poor running at times not to mention the poor mpg, i'll suss it shortly.

Chris

i was supposed to test mine today,didnt get round to it...or the isv or the air screw,or the charger :x :lol:

While I was working out how to test it I found quite a bit of krud in the connecting socket. It could be because of its position that it’s quite exposed to road dirt. So maybe it did have issues before I messed around with it and cleaned up the contacts. I'll find out if its any different tomorrow when I go for a drive. :-)

I hope this thread helps people who are trying to test there lambda. Even I worked it out eventually!! :lol: :lol: