Sign in to follow this  
mrbeige

Handbrake light staying on....

Right, I've just fitted VR6 calipers and bled the brakes, and they seem fine, but the handbrake light ((!) symbol) stays on dim after I've disengaged it!

Anyone know what that means :?

Brake fluid level is at its max, if not a little over...

I'd check the switch - next to the handbrake lever.

The light is bright when the handbrake is on, but dim when not. Could the switch be knackered then?

Also check the reservoir cap contacts by gently pressing the little rod in the centre with out takening the cap off. It should "bounce" a little with fluid pushing back up - 2 to 4 mm travel. Could be stuck after your brake fluid change work today.

Also check the reservoir cap contacts by gently pressing the little rod in the centre with out takening the cap off. It should "bounce" a little with fluid pushing back up - 2 to 4 mm travel. Could be stuck after your brake fluid change work today.

"bounces" back no problem.

:? :? :?

Disconnect the connector from the reservoir cap to eliminate it from the circuit. Same afterwards with the handbrake switch wire so it's also out of circuit not touching earth anywhere. Still there? What else have you been doin' on the car today?

I disconnected the connecter on the reservoir switch and the light goes out. I did spill some brake fluid when I was bleeding the brakes, so I chucked a load of water around the reservoir once I'd finished to clean it off. Would water in the connector contacts cause it to glow dimly? I've blown onto bothe female and male connectors to try and get re=id of any water residue, but its still the same :? :?

Awch!

Water near the brake fluid. The fluid is like sponge for water. Thats why you change it!! Don't worry too much this time round, just do it again in 12 - 18 months time instead of the usual 24 months. Next time use a dry paper kitchen towel to wipe the fluid off.

Yes, the water could cause it to conduct a little. It's a leaf switch inside the cap and capilliary action could have happened. Best to dry off as best you can shake dry (hold the whole thing so that the thin stem to the float body is secure & float so it doesn't snap) and try an force as much water out of the switch via the top hole where the rod is that you were tapping earlier.

The cap was on the reservoir! I was always told that if you got brake fluid on paint you should just chuck water on it as brake fluid is hyposcopic (absorbs water like a sponge!) as it can strip it.

Anyway, I'll give that a go today!

he cap was on the reservoir!

Yeah, I wasn't thinking ir was off. The cap isn't totally water proof as you are most likely to find out. Otherwise it would be a "sealed" system and life would be so much easier :-)

Good Luck.

If it's not that, I'll look at the wiring diagrams tonight for you.

Well I drove th car this lunchtime and the light has gone off, so I guess some water residue in the switch and/or connector

Happy now! Plus my brakes are good!!!!

read all above about this, as i have same problem with my light, except when i release my handbrake he light doesnt go out at all, still on as it is when its up, sometimes when im driving though, if i put foot down a bit it flickers, any ideas???

I have this problem at the moment as well.

I release the handbrake and after driving few miles the light comes back on but dimmed (probably not wiring then?).

Brake fluid is half between max and min

I have EXACTLY the same problem, and it came on after i washed the engine bay, water on the connectors on the resivour, so this MUST be the porblem, ill just dry it out and see if its ok.

Water must make it happen.

read all above about this, as i have same problem with my light, except when i release my handbrake he light doesnt go out at all, still on as it is when its up, sometimes when im driving though, if i put foot down a bit it flickers, any ideas???

Yeah, check your disks and pads. There is some sort of warning system (open circuit) that relies on the thickness of the pads / disks (I'm not sure which). I had this recently, and it would happen on acceleration, or even coasting down a hill. I hope it is this, because the garage changed both disks and pads (it sorted the light out), so if someone knows better, I'll be looking for a new garage.

paulim, You have brakepad sensors ?

My G60 doesn't & neither of the VR's that I've looked at do either. Maybe they were fitted after a certain model year.

My G60 doesn't & neither of the VR's that I've looked at do either. Maybe they were fitted after a certain model year.

well me December 95(April build date) storm doesn't have............and IIRC no UK(supplied) Corrado does either

My G60 has a spare socket in the wiring harness, next to the front ABS sensor on one side of the car. Any ideas what that's for ?

well me December 95(April build date) storm doesn't have............and IIRC no UK(supplied) Corrado does either

Well, this is something of what I suspected - thus the comment about the garage, it's just what they told me, I hadn't changed either in a while, and it sorted the problem. But I suspect the garage is all a bit about bs, thus my questions on the reliable garage thread elsewhere! They recently told me to just take the heat shield off the cat as it has become undone from one end, as otherwise I would need to get a whole new cat. Hmmm.

Any idea how I can check if I actually have them or not? I woudn't want to go throwing accusations if I do actually have them!

There are now "wire" warning pads on C's. Reservoir float switch or handbrake micro-switch are only sources for th elight being unless a wire has chafed to earth.