Sign in to follow this  
Son of a Beesting

Is it the Idler Pulley, if so need help with part numbers!!

Hiya

My 91 C G60 has been making squeeling noises for a while now. It had the cambelt done about 20K ago so im pretty happy thats ok. It only really happens on start up and usually disappears after 10-20 minutes of driving. It disppears if I dribble some water onto the bottom of the belt. This leads me to believe it is my idler pulley. Would you agree?

I am thinking about replacing the the pulleys with new items for piece of mind and was wondering if anybody new the part numbers for these as local dealer is lost without them!! Does anybody know the prices as well??

As im going to be replacing the old crank pulley bolt as well I am kinda tempted to forget the cost and get a toothed belt drive !!! :twisted:

Thanks

did they do the cam belt tensioner when the belt was done??

you can blast the cam belt tensioner with a little wd40 when its squealing..it should sut up or change in noise for a few mins

i believe the poly v belt idlers are exp...why dont you unbolt them and spin them up , you will hear if theyre rough..you can also prise out the dust seal and wipe some more grease into them if theyre not already shot to bits

non genuine poly v belts can also be noisey

good idea on the crank bolt...worth £2 for peace of mind

Defo get that crank bolt done. For less than a fiver, it is the cheapest insurance going.

If the belt goes quiet with a few drops of water, I wonder if the belt is an aftermarket one. These tend to be smooth, where the OE ones have a crosshatching effect on them. On my Golf, I fitted a belt from GSF which was smooth and it sounded like a flock of budgies.

My syncro doesn't make a sound in the belt dept. Thats with an OE type belt on it.

The idler pullies are not that much from GSF

13539 RIBBED BELT IDLER PULLEY CO G60 15.75

You need 2 of them.

VW number 037 145 276A don't know how much, more than 16 quid tho.

GSF ones are OK IMO.

Gavin