Sign in to follow this  
ZippyVR6

over antifreeze

Have done some searching on the search but cant find what i need.

what are the consequences of running to much antifreeze. Ive just topped up with water and coolant and done the test with the little trafic light dipper thing. It reads that the concentration is to high. Is this a problem or do i need to kill the grass under the car again?

It will possible depending on the manufacturer it makes the engine run slightly hotter, about 4'C to 6'C on the oil temp. This does happen with VAG's G12 or G12 plus. Discussed before. Opinions differ but I've found 50%50% runs hotter than 60% water / 40% coolant additive by the the above temp difference in several engines before & after. Only thing to watch with this that a bad winter, below -15'C, the mixture will have to be adjusted to 50%/50%.

You don't have to drop it all out. Allow at least 8 hours better 10. Then undo the little tap stopper on the underside of cooling system pipe near the alternator. Tap stopper is just the the nearside of the alternator. Let out about 1.5ltrs. Add water and coolant in a weak mix of 75%W/25%C. It doesn't need to be a precise science.

Agreed, 75/25 is about what I use. English winters don't justify a 50/50 mix and the more glycol you use, the less the water can absorb heat. Scottish winters might need a 60/40 though....