Sign in to follow this  
Dan_Storm

VR Oil Filter Types

I'm currently half way through changing the oil in my VR. I went to the dealers this morning to buy the parts, I took a guess that I'd need the metal top oil filer with the non-return valve as that seems to be the most common type.

So I've just taken the old filter out and it is the plastic top type without the non-return valve. The new filter i bought this morning with the valve fits into the filter housing nicely (with a click).

My question is, how do I know what type of filter I should be using? It was last serviced at Stealth, who used the filter with the non-return valve in.....are they correct or have they made a mistake?

Here is a pic from Kev showing the 2 types of filters

The one with the non-return valve is the one with the samller centre hole in Kev's pic and is the correct one to use.

Hmmm....wonder why Stealth fitted the incorrect type

Simple - they don't use genuine VW parts but GSF equivalents. If you want genuine it's best to supply them with a VW item at the time of the service.

Simple - they don't use genuine VW parts but GSF equivalents.

Thanks. I was under the impression that the 2 filter types were for different engine revisions.

I'll have to remember to take a filter with me to Stealth in future.

I'm wondering if using the filter without the non-return valve could explain why the tappets sound v.noisy when the engine is cold. I'll have to see if the new filter makes a difference.