Sign in to follow this  
storm_warning

Loose steering

Had a couple of moments on the road today where the car tried to go off in a surprising direction all of it's own and have been welcomed by a grinding sound when turning left.

When I got home and jacked the car up, I found I have almost half an inch of freeplay in the steering and all the movement seems to come from the first joint behind all the whole carrier assemby (I'm sorry, I have no idea what these parts are called!).

Does the bit I'm trying to explain sound like it could be the CV? Has anyone ever heard one when they're going wrong - would it make a grinding noise only when turning?

"an inch of freeplay in the steering" - in which direction? That must come from somewhere.. track rod end? track rods? hub itself?

The grinding on left handers could be wheel bearings or CV joint. CV joint wouldn't cause steering weirdness though (unless under torque from the engine I suppose).

It's alright, I'm just being an idiot. After I got the nipper off to bed I was able to have a much better look at what was going on and I've found that the wheel bearing has destroyed itself leaving tiny shards of metal sprayed around the inside of the wheel (easier to notice in the dark where the torch light reflects off the little shards).

When I looked earlier and wobbled the wheel, I thought all the movement was coming from the steering aseembly, bot the wheel itself and panicked!

New bearing already ordered.