markmcie

Water temp gauge not working !

Hi all,

My car has being sitting for about 3 weeks and while dirving it today I noticed the water temp gauge was not reading at all. The car is full of coolant, the temp warning light was not flashing and the pipes to the rad appear to be running hot water.

Is it just a case the sender is at fault ? I can test it if someone knows were I can find it ?

Thx

Mark

get the car up to temp, then swap the blue and black plugs over with the engine off, but the ignition on... the gauge should start to work if it's the black temp sender that's faulty... Don't forget to swap the wiring back again before you drive the car though!

Or just check resistance across the sender, very high or no reading then replace, best to do the blue one at the same time as they are bound to be the same age...

Thanks all. Swapped the plugs around with the car up to temp and the gauge is working. Ill replace the sensors next time Im getting bits for the car.

8)

yeah, they're a bugger for just dropping dead with no notice... normally they do it when they've been dry for a while like if you're doing a cylinder head gasket... :roll: :lol:

Glad you found what the problem was though... 8)

Always around the half way mark, ie 90 degrees... at idle for a long time it may rise slightly but if it goes up past 100 then chances are one stage or the rad fan thermoswitch is knackered (another cheap fix)