Sign in to follow this  
DaveStorm

VR6 brake advice

Emailed Stealth this weekend with a view to getting a few bits done including uprating the braking system. They said they can do everything for me except I have to supply the calipers. What I'm after is the larger 288mm front calipers and the MkIV Golf rear calipers. I've tried the scrappys round here but no luck, and I'd rather get new bits where brakes are concerned TBH. Can anyone recommend where to get them from and how much? Cheers,

Dave

They really aren't going to be cheap Dave... I've no idea what the fronts do cost new, but the vastly smaller Mk4 rear ones are £180ish for the pair... :?

I got some 288 callipers and carriers from a low mileage Mk4 for £40 or so from a guy on the Club GTI forum ;)

I bought Audi A3 calipers, brake disks & Padid pads with approx 20,000 miles on e-bay for 21 pounds + P+P.

The A3 calipers are the same part number as the M1V. I then bought the M11 to M1V brake hose connections from C + R for 26 pounds. I haven't got them fitted yet but the guy fitting them for me said they will fit.

Supposed to get them fitted this week so, will keep you posted

give midland vw a ring 01543 495700, ask for jodie, im sure he has some 288mm front calipers and carriers for sale, may even have your rears also?? :D

a rear one. it was going cheap on an autojumble plot so I bought it in case I fancied using them.

i got some R32 front brakes for sale, only £300.

don't buy 288's, crap, I killed mine at donnington. i thought they were good untilI took them out on track. 3 hard laps and they were goosed. they smoked for half an hour afterwards.

Can't do the R32 brakes I'm afraid, I don't think they'd fit under the solitudes.

I always thought the general opinion on 288s was pretty good, a few people on here have upgraded and say they're an improvement over the 280s. I'm not intending to thrash the car round a track, just need them for everyday use.

The 288 disks themselves aren't much bigger than standard, but the callipers are significantly bigger than the standard ones, which means you get something silly like 40% more friction area and thus much more stopping power.

What Phat says about them dying after 3 laps on a track is probably true, but that's true for pretty much any road car, because they're err road cars. Even an Elise in standard sped will start to overheat it's brakes after about 5 or 6 laps...

Similarly, the 288s might have lasted 3 laps, but the 208s would have only lasted 1.

288s are the biggest you can get under 15" wheels and as they're standard Golf parts are hugely cheaper than pretty much any other brake upgrade...

:)