Sign in to follow this  
chrisw

worn lugs on engine mount carrier

Hi all,

I've just changed the rear engine mount on a late vr6. The top bolt had sheared where it entered the mounting. The problem is that the engine moving has caused the locating lugs on the mount to shear off some of the wall of the seat the lugs sit in on the carrier (bolted to the engine). Has anyone changed the carrier in situ? Is it an easy job? Or do some of the replacement engine mounts not require the retaining lugs?

I found access quite tight changing the rear mount, taking the right front wheel off helped for one of the bolts and a super long extension bar from above for the other. I loosened all the top bolts on the engine mounts and then there was plenty of play to jack the engine a few inch from under the sump and get the old mount out with a bit of manouvering round the driveshaft. Jacking under the block/transmission would be better for the front/gearbox mounting I think. Is it necessary to loosen all the mounts? I was a bit nervous about jacking the engine so I thought that would be safer.

Thanks for any help,

Chris

There might still be a bit of metal left on the 'arm' to help locate the bolt centrally onto the mount. They're not essential, but help. The arm just attaches to then block with 3 bolts IIRC, so isn't a major hassle replacing it, personally I'd just rock the engine back and forth until the bolt drops down into the mount, tighten it up and then run!

The rear bolt tends to bend and eventually snap due to excessive movement from the front, which is why a lot of us uprate the front and rear mounts with VF Engineering ones or Vibratechnics.

The trick for replacing them is to 'hinge' the engine on the gearbox mount, but make sure you don't jack the crank pulley into the inner wing and/or snap wiring looms and PAS pump hoses etc....

use a piece of wood under the jack to stop any damage, use two extension bars linked together to get to the lower bolts, never tighten it up while you have the engine jacked up , lower it and then push the engine side to side and front to back to allow it to settle then tighten