Sign in to follow this  
smiff

Rev Counter Jumping About!

16V 1.8 1991. Only between 2000 and 3000rpm my rev counter is flicking about! I have not yet noticed any performance problems, but it is bugging the hell out of me, I keep catching sight of it in the corner of my eye. I think it mainly happens when the car is just cruising about 60mph. Maybe it has always done this! Could the jets need cleaning? Like everything on a car nothing ever gets better......... Any ideas???

You state that the rev counter keeps flicking about. What is not clear however is the detail around your problem. Is the fault restricted to your rev counter only, or is the rev counter indicating a variation in engine speed and therein a engine fault. I have seen a fault with the G60 clocks simillar to what you may be experiencing, this was down to an electronic defect in the printed cicuit supplying the instruments. The circuit had a high resitance joint which became more evident with increased useage, but as with such faults was fine from "cold". I cured this by replacement of the printed circuit.

Thank you for your answer. The problem lies just with the rev counter, I have not noticed any ill effect on the engine, and the speedometer is fine.

At low speed it is okay, but when sitting at a constant speed (on the motorway) it predictably jumps about!

Where is the circuit located, is it easy to replace?

Perhaps a service and a quick check of all the connections might help!

smiffy

It was some time ago I wrote about this problem. On examination of the car I found the fuse box full of water! I had no idea where the water had come from, but the windscreen seemed a good starting point. After having the windscreen replaced the fuse box dried out and has stayed dry ever since. The rev counter now works fine! I don't know if it was connected but for £50 excess on my insurance, job done! (Oh! - having a new screen is priceless compared to the original 10 year old scratched and hazy screen I had before)