Sign in to follow this  
VR6Seeker

Shall i buy this VR6 ? HelP !!

Hi all, nice to see so many corrado lovers :D

Im thinkin about buying a VR6 and woz hoping i could get some advice on if it sounds ok.

Heres the info :

VR6, L reg

Black Leather

Full VWSH

Full Closure Cat 1

Mint Condition

£4,750

Ive had a Pre purchase check from a VW Garage and this is wot they came up with :

ABS Fault

Front + Rear Discs worn

Multi Belt Worn

Oil leak on engine oil cooler

Sunroof Motor Slow

OSR brake pipe perished

Water pipe to throttle body joiner in it

Are these expensive problems ?

The seller has agreed to get the car MOTed b4 i buy.

Will any of these probs have to be fixed to pass MOT ?

PLZ Help, i dont know if i should should go for it or not !! :?

ThnX in Advance !! :)

Welcome to the forum... some of the problems you mention CAN be pricey to put right depending on the severity..

ABS - might not be anything major wrong. ABS Sensor can sometimes misbehave, warning you of a problem when there isn't anything really wrong. There is some kind of sensor cleaning procedure that someone on here might be able to explain for me cause I don't actually know :)

Brake Discs - new discs allround will probably cost you about £150 if you go for some decent ones.. or just get some yourself from a motor factors and fit em yourself as it will cost a lot less.

Multibelt - Not sure on this? Must be the belts around the waterpump and PAS?

Oil Leak - Again.. not too sure.

Sunroof Motor - Could be a sign that the sunroof is on its way out, and these can be very costly to fix unless you are prepared to tackle the problem yourself. I believe the common fault is the guide rails bending and snapping.. but if its just a slow motor, maybe the rails just need a bit of grease or something as they might be a bit dry?

Brake Pipes - I don't believe they will cost a lot to put right.

Water Pipe - Not much help am I.. don't know about that either.

To be honest, most of these sound like small issues that you can get sorted. The car sounds nice for the price, but you could mention the potential ABS and sunroof faults as you might be able to knock the price down a little?

It sounds like a reasonable buy though to be honest :)

ThnX for your opinion and help.

It doesnt sound to bad, its a lovely lookin car but i suppose i should get the Oil leak checked out in more detail as im not sure about spending near on 5k for a car with an oil leak.

Will the car get through the MOT with the ABS light flashing ?

multi-belt is also know as the "V"-belt or the "serpentine" belt(approx £25 for the part) and about 30 mins labour

ABS fault could be something simple as the switch on the pedal to more serious stuff

brake discs as jims16v rigthly said are cheap as chips.............AtE power grooves are £58+vat(pair) for the fronts and you can get the rears(pair) for just over £30-ish+vat........though if you get the rears done your as well getting the rear wheel bearings done too

oil cooler seals are cheap as chips too approx £2+vat ea in total plus under an hours labour

brake pipes will have probably been the originals so its something you would need to replace soon anyway cost........depends on who you get to do them......any local garage should do this no problem

sunroof can be a dear one tho.............as its probably more than likely the s/roof guides playing up

as for the MOT if the brake pipes are that bad then it should be picked up on the MOT

also if the abs light doesn't go off after a few seconds that constitiutes a MOT failure

and it all depends on how badly worn the discs are for it to fail

if it passes the MOT then buy it but knock a few hundred off for the above repairs

Think I would go armed with the engineers report and do a bit of haggling, £4250 could be a good start. If your a competent DIY mechanic most jobs will be easy enough in your own time, and sounds a good history.

Thnx very much vr6storm

Im starting to smile now :D

Think i might have to go for it if MOT goes ok.

did the VW dealer that did the inspection have a rough idea as to what would be the costs involved of them fixing the problems that came up btw?

as my VW dealer did my oil cooler seals and charged approx £40inc vat and seals

ps i'm not sure what the water pipe joiner bit is tho :?

Sound ok to me.

If the car you want is a corrado then straight away have in your mind that the sunroof will need attention. Even if you buy one that works, it will break. There are loads of discussions and ways to fix the problem and the parts dont mount up to that much for it.

When was the cars last service?

Do all the papers tally up? Call VW with the reg number and they can do a check on the car from their database and tell you exactly when the car was serviced and general info, i.e colour code, engine type etc.

The ABS, I would agree that it could be a sensor, have you driven the car? Do the brakes try and bite when driving slowly without touching the pedal or when lightly braking? Meaning, does the car brake more than you are applying on the brakes?

The join - ask VW what this is and what it would cost to fix, your note didnt say it was a problem as such, so it could be a midification?

Oil seals, again all cars will suffer from this, the fact you know now will ensure that your car doesnt blow up if this is all mechanically sound.

You have also made a good choice of engine IMO, you will enjoy the everyday drive teh VR gives and just be ware that fuel on these babies is not cheap. Its not too tragic but heavy. The car really wants to be run on Shell Optimax at all times to ensure accurate Bhp figures and for good cleaning of the engine and fuel lines. If optimax is un obtainable then a super plus or 97 / 98 ron will suffice with no problems.

Get the wheel bearings checked and the compression of the engine, the place that is MOT your car could do this for you and say you will throw him a £10ner. That way, all your main hot spot areas are covered!

Last point, there are others out there so dont rush buy as when you get the Corrado you will be hooked like all of us nutters on here and you will get the mod bug and your life will start to revolve around your car so it is advisable to get a nice girlfriend with bug knockers to take your attention away! Only kidding, hope your car works out to be sound! Excuse my terrible typing, I always make errors!!

does the multibelt drive the pow3r steering?

The sepentine belt is the major belt on the car. it runs just about everything. however, the there is another belt that runs the power steering pump.this is called a vee belt. it runs around the water pump pulley, crankshaft pulley and the power steering pump pulley (if your car has AC). its a little belt, 9.5mm x 735mm. wise idea would be to change them both at the same time, unless you see more wear on one than the other.

riiight im with you. Ive just popped to vw to get a cam belt and a vee belt as the vee is lookin a bit ragged. Is it a change-it-meself jobby or one for a garage?