Sign in to follow this  
andy.b

Gearbox Diff "is it kaputt"

Could this problem be my Gearbox Diff on its way out on my VR6 Corrado.

Last month I was driving my car and I noticed a slight wobble, I though this was the road surface. As the weeks have gone by the wobble and knocking noise has got worse, to the point where you can feel the knocking/wobbling in the car. The car is at the garage at the moment and they have checked my wheel bearings and all other things front and back of car and everything is fine, they said my diff in the gearbox is very noisy. Could this be my above problem?

Did they tighten the 6 bolts on each inner CV properly? They've been known to come loose on occasion, causing the symptoms you describe.

Diff crownwheel wear is progressive and slow and is exhibited by a whine which increases in volume the more worn it becomes. Another reason diffs can whine is through lack of oil.

So the diff itself cannot be 'on it's way out' from a point of view that it's got X amount of miles left just by listening to it. They can go on forever with a whine.

The only way your diff can fail completely and leave you stranded is if one or more of the rivet pins let go....which is quite rare on the 02A.

Check also engine mounts etc and get the garage to define this noise they're hearing. What mileage is it on? If they were just flicking the road wheels back and forth and thinking the diff backlash noise is excessive wear, then they're barking up the wrong tree. That's normal.

possible engine mount or cv

does it knock worse on full lock ? this is a typical symptom of a worn cv

I HAD THESE REPLACED AND CHECKED OUT

all of them replaced ? inner and outer on both sides ?

does it get worse or better when you brake

have you checked the tyres for eggs ?