Sign in to follow this  
Corrado31

17" rims: 7" versus 7.5"

I have always assumed that the best size 17" alloy for a Corrado VR6 is 17x7.5.

But I am increasingly seeing 7x17 on Corrados and saw a tuning mag today that specifically recommended 7x17 as the "sensible wheel" in that size for the Corrado VR6.

I used to have 7.5x17 Ace wheels sith silly tyres (225/35/17) on my old C VR6 and was planning to get the same size wheel with the usual 205/40/17 rubber this time around (hopefully picking up new VR6 on Saturday).

Is there a conclusive answer to this or is it just down to preference?

TIA

I run a 7 jay wheel with 215 40 17 tyres, so it gives good protection to the rim and feels nice and tight.

Everything with modifying has to be within tollerence. i.e the C came with 15" rims as standard, well I know the G60 and VR's do, so going up 2 sizes for comfort and haniling seems like its enough for the C. Anyone with bigger rims will loose a bit of feel, a bit of power and the car wount handle as well as lets say a car on 16" rims.

Agin, to get a comprimise between looks and handiling is always going to be tough if not exactly achievable.

I would say that there won't be much in it between.5 of a jay, but I could be wrong.

Sorry if I didnt answer your question fully, I may have done :D

perhaps running 7.5 is why people get constant fouling of the tyres when running lowered kits and 17's. I know I do!! :(

Definitely: I had Koni/Eibach set-up on my last Corrado AND rolled arches, and the rears would still rub when I went over a bump at high speed with a passenger in the back or heavy gear in the boot.

Maybe it's time for some 7s after all...

7's just dont fill the arches right though do they! :lol: 7 1/2"s with the correct offset will not rub and still run a 205/40/17" tyre on them.

I think that a 215 tyre or sol looks better than a 205 tyre, especially on a 7.5 Jay wheel. The traction is what you need to work with th esuspension set up you use.

Darren, you must like the small but fat rims? :lol:

Darren, you must like the small but fat rims?

not at all i have a set of 17" - 7-1/2 winter wheels mate i personally feel the 17" arent as good ride as the 16" but then again they aint a smooth as the 15" ... :lol:

imho if you want to run a 7 1/2 inch wheel et35mm you are better going for a 205 section tyre as they fit this size rim very nice with no arc rubbing etc.. only down side is that you loose a bit of rim protection on some makes of tyres...

I have run the 205 40's and 215 40's, I think the 215's feel tighter with less kick back around corners, or sliding. The 205 feel abit crisper but sharpe to tail the rear end at similar speed to the 215 tyre.

Rams, I rang a big tuning store to sort out some new 17s on my C and asked them the same wheel and tyre questions that I asked above. He said pretty much the same thing as you:

Her suggested that when I last bought 17s (a few years back), more manufacturers made 17x7.5 than 17x7, and that 7s are fine.

As for the tyres, he suggested 215/40 straight off. So it looks like I will go for 17x7 with 215/40. It's good to have a change anyway.....