Sign in to follow this  
pkripper

stage 4 chip, pulley and oil cooler upgrade.

Hi you guys helped me out with my ABS sensor previously which was great. As you gave some sound advice last time, thought I would ask again.

I stumbled upon a low mileage G60 C which I have enjoyed immensly for a year or so and would like to keep it original as far as possible, but I would like to performance upgrade sensibly without compromising originality and practicality. I have a few questions that would be great if they could be answered.

1.) The performance advantage of the above is great for the cost, but will the car still be nice to drive. i.e. Sit on motorway fine, drive round town etc etc.

2.) How much would the originality be compromised by the upgrade? Would the car then be seen as too modded, or is this a happy balance between originality and modern day performance. The only external mod is that the car has been lowered and maybe a new exhaust in the future.

The car has been serviced by Darren at Gwerks since my ownership and I mailed him today to get his advice by just wanted some additional feedback.

Thanks in advance and apologies if you have answered this before.

An oil cooler will only make the engine run cooler which is no bad thing for a G60 as they always run a bit hot. An oil cooler is the best thing before any "performance" upgrades. Make sure you get one with a thermostatic sandwich plate though or the car will take ages to warm up ;)

A ported charger, 68mm pulley and a chip (SNS stage 5 for instance) will improve driveability if anything. You'll get a bit more power (10-20 bhp) and no lag if you go for the SNS chip. It's not like tuning an na car where you often shift the power up the revrange, mildly tuning a G60 will make is faster, more driveable and will also increase torque. No worries there.

I'm sure Darren would say a similar thing. The only thing to consider is whether the car is in good health to begin with. Better to start tuning a healthy engine than one that is already struggling.

Make sure all the sensors that feedback to the ecu are working OK as well eg lambda probe, temp sensors, knock sensor.

Thanks Neil.

Darren I sent it to the mail address you mailed my bill to. I have copied to your Gwerks sales one now.

Cheers

Matt