Sign in to follow this  
jonrb

SONY CDX-F5550 - any good?

I have the opportunity to buy a SONY CDX-F5550 for £104 all-in, which seems like a good price. Totally legit - I do some work for Sony and they are kind enough to give me staff discount in their on-site shop.

It looks ok and has the main feature I want, which is CD / MP3.

Is it any good, and would it be a straight swap fit for the ageing standard-fit SONY unit in my '96 Corrado VR6?

I'll probably need to make a decision pretty quickly as they are flying off the shelves somewhat. There were probably 8-10 on the shelves yesterday and today there are two. :shock:

i had the model before, not bad at all.. I dont think sonys ever sound 'as' good as the likes of alpine but it had no problem with mp3 (did it quickly etc) and for that price i would go for it. :-)

IMHO I would not touch sony in-car stuff with a barge pole!!

I used to work for a reptuable car audio supplier and we used to get LOADS of sony's back faulty!! They def have build quality issues!

Alpine every time!!

I think I might just get one of those crappy cassette adaptors and then use my personal MP3 player for now.

Not a very elegant solution, but will be less hassle than making a decision on what head unit to buy. :)

Turns out the CDX-F5550 can be bought on-line for £118, so the £104 I can get it for isn't such a stunning bargain after all anyway.

Never had any problems with my Sony head unit (Cdxm8800)works atreat and looks good,costs a bit more though.I think Alpine stuff is overrated.