Sign in to follow this  
Rams

just received my passat rear handles and mecs

Can anyone please help me with what I have to do. I take it I have to take off the door cards and undo the part the handle levers from?

Do I have to mod it or not? I think when I read last time people were saying you have to do a samll mod and others say no problem or am I talking rubbish?

I am at work now and have an hour to do it in so if anyone can help me know that would be great.

You have PM rams.The small mod people were talking about is the push lock pin if you were using standard corrado mechanisms which doesn't work as if you tried bend them the pin would break as it is very brittle. as you've bought the mechs as well there will be no need to mod them its just a direct swap!! :D

No need for mods... should fit straight on, you don't even need to take the cards off!

Just unscrew the handles, disconect the central locking switch wiring, this may just fall off but keep hold of it so you can insulate the wires as these won't be needed anymore, tuck them back into the door and swap the mechs and install the new handles with a bit of grease/oil.

Dont know about you supercharged but I had to take the connecting rod off the back of the interior handle to be able to get it dissatatched from the outer mechanism it was a real sod to get out as it is spring loaded!! so in my case I had to take the door card off but apart from that it is a real piece of piss to do :D

Yeah, mine wasn't too bad - I used a screwdriver to unclip the rod but that reminds me, the interior handles are a bit loose compared to how they used to be, still work fine but could do with a slight tweak at some point! - Bo Selecta!

I used... (don't think the first 3 numbers matter - just the car they came off, its the 839 thats important)

Door Handles - 357 839 205/206

Locking Mechs - 8A0 839 015/016A

Handles are £17 new from VW or £10 from a breakers (try 01159791121)