Sign in to follow this  
monVR6

Noisy VR6 engine

OK - VR's going to Stealth on Thursday and I took it there last week so they could check the steering rack out in advance. Vince spotted a weeping sump - a result of grounding no doubt - but said it would be OK - just keep track of the oil. I drove back fine no problem - but when I started it today, there seems to be a whirring/light grinding noise from the engine. I checked the oil (which was low), so topped it up and restarted. Momentarily, no noise, then it started again. Not sure if this is linked, but after a slight blip on the throttle, when the engine falls back to idle, I get a slight vibration through the gearlever.

Please - I need some guidance on this - I am already praying this is not expensive!

Not sure - how can I check? Must admit, it sounds more "enginey" to me - plus it stopped briefly after the oil top-up.

Put a screw driver on the head on the left with the handle ontop. Put your ear on the handle. If its engine related you will hear and feel the sound coming through the screw driver.

Had Green Flag out and at first, he thought it may be water-pump, or maybe alternator. It seems to be squeaking and does have that sort of dry water pump noise. There are various squeals and rattles, but the engine itself still seems smooth and seems to rev cleanly. Could this be the dreaded chains need doing?? Car has done only 84K and serviced regularly. If it is this, do they go as suddenly as this - or are there more early warning signs?

Another question - who would be good to get an opinion from? Don't really want to go to VAG as I have no confidence in them and want to avoid their whopping great bills!!! Nic Saran (NSRacing) are just about within a free recovery trip. Anyone have any dealings with them???

OK - taken the VR to alocal garage - they have diagnosed the power steering pump has gone and are going ahead with replacement. All in for about £250. Hope this solves it !