Sign in to follow this  
Rob_B

long shot noise identification......

my car seems to have developed a strange tapping from around the throttle body.

i cant decide if its a tapping or an exhaust blowing noise though....

its coming from the right hand side of the throttle body but i cant feel the exhaust or manifold blowing so im not convinced its the exhaust system.

i know its a bit of a long shot but i was wondering if anybody had any suggestions.........

cheers, Rob

i had some noise coming from the exhaust manifold and it was a missing bolt on the head studs. it sounded like a blowing exhaust... likely not the cause but perhaps worth a check

check the blue/greenish colour cap to the left of the inlet manifold (on the end of the random pipe which goes to the back of the exhaust manifold) for any damage... this can make noises like you describe if damaged...

i have had that little bad boy split before and its not that this time.

i did wonder if it could be a knackered injector as it sounds like its coming from that area around the throttle body?

how loud is the tapping? (I know that's not an easy one to answer, but give it a go... )

i would say the tapping is quite loud. you can notice it easily inside the car. you can hear it all the time except for flat out on the throttle (at high revs) and when you back off the throttle.

problem solved....ill put the two missing nuts back onto my manifold should i?!?!?!? :lol:

Haha! Good stuff mate - worth mentioning then after all :) Interesting how that happened to you too...

i guess the nuts just rattled loose. its not a big issue but the noise was really getting on my thrupneys!gave all the nuts a good tightning :wink: and no more blowing manifold!!

an unusual cheap fix!

cheers for the input guys