Sign in to follow this  
andy35554

self repairing water pump !!

about 6 weeks ago i changed a siezed and leaking aux water pump. 2 weeks later while playing with the obd2 cable trying to communicate with the laptop with the engine running i noticed a pool of ??? under my car, turned out to be coolant, changed and flushed the system when i did the aux pump. Looked like the main water pump was leaking and after removing the airbox this seemed to be the case. So I decided to let a garage do it after some advice and had to wait until tomorrow (25th) for a slot in my garage for the pump. It has stood still the last few weeks apart from the odd turn over of the engine - each time a pool of coolant appeared on the floor. Not much of a leak but the pump still seamed to work, maybe just the o ring gone! Today i started it up to show someone the leak and it wasn't leaking!! Run the engine for about 45mins and took it for a drive and not a drop lost..... So has the magic fairy come and saved me a huge labour bill at the garage or could there be another reason?

To be honest i would risk leaving it, maybe all the coolant has leaked from that particular area. I dont know how the water to the aux pump is fed so dont want to make any assumptions but get a pressure test carried which will pressurise the coolant and indicate any leaks.

It is most likely the pump only will leak initially when the engine is hot or has been stopped after running so the heat is in the top half of the engine resulting in an increase in the cooling systems pressure, just enough to push out the coolant, probably past the shaft gland/seal.