Sign in to follow this  
Rpmayne

Changing solid rear brake pipes

Well, it's not a 'difficult' job, ie the process is simple.

The problem is that there's limited access and the union will probably be a b*****d to undo.

So could take a while, bruise a knuckle or two and prompt the odd mild swear word.

rp - the brakes can be a bar steward. The pipe runs from the compensator along the beam an into a small flexy hose that's difficult to see, and difficult to get to. It may be a simple job depending on the state of the connections!

For instance I changed my front flexy hose today - but disturbed the solid pipe next to it (it looked OK) but it fractured. By the time I'd made up a replacement pipe most of the fluid had drained out. So now I had to bleed the brakes - only for one of the bleed nipples to shear off. Now I'll have to get a replacement caliper!!!

You'd be better inspecting the work your going to do first and try and spot any potential problems - i.e. suspect connections, even try the Rear caliper bleed nipple, make sure its going to move!

Best of luck!!

r

For instance I changed my front flexy hose today - but disturbed the solid pipe next to it (it looked OK) but it fractured. By the time I'd made up a replacement pipe most of the fluid had drained out. So now I had to bleed the brakes - only for one of the bleed nipples to shear off. Now I'll have to get a replacement caliper!!!

!

Had all the above in my time messing with brakes. Mr Airhacksaw usually gets to see the light of day on brake pipe days :lol:

My advice would be to replace all the flexy hoses and rigid lines in one go. At least buy new flexys in so you don't have to worry about busting one up on a sunday afternoon when everywhere is shut.

If you are handy buy a couple of rolls of brake pipe, borrow or buy the flaring tool and a count up the unions you need. If you have ETKA it tells you the lengths of all the rigids, so you can make them up beforehand.

Usually, Mr Blowtorch comes into play on bleed nipples. Especially the front ones. Even then though I have snapped them off in the past. I usually have spare calliers loitering in the garage though which saves some messing about.

Gavin

Abit embarrasing really but the reason I'm doing this is because the caliper managed to become detached from the carrier and wedge itself between the disk and wheel at about 45mph, luckily not faster. Result was knackard pads, kinked brake pipe (solid), cut flexible pipe, heavily modified splash guard, melted yoko (30ft skid) and heavily scored inner wheel.

I've got some mk4 alloy calipers and adapter pipes already, and the compensator valve is new so the connectors should undo ok.

I was hoping to take the old pipe off and get someone to fabricate a new one as VW don't sell them pre-formed. Suppose I'll know when I take that off as to whether I'll need anything else.

Can I reuse the fittings onto the new pipe? Should I order the small flexible pipes between the compensator and axle?

If they have never been touched since new then I think you'd be doing yourself a favour by renewing everything from the compensator. If you don't get all the bits in stock you can put money on something going wrong.

I think you mean the flexies that go from the body to the axle. There are 4 flexy pipes at the back of the car in total.

Any motoring shop worth it's salt should be able to make you a rigid line for a few quid.

Gavin

If you're going to be shaping your own pipes, then don't bend them freehand because you'll kink them - bend them around bit of copper pipe or similar.

Can I reuse the fittings onto the new pipe? Should I order the small flexible pipes between the compensator and axle?

As Gavin says you'll be doing yourself a favour replacing them if they've benn on for a number of years. It's not sensible to use old fittings - they cost pennies. the flexible brake hoses are generally around £9 or so from any motor factors. I generally don't take any chances with brakes, and have replaced all the pipes bar one even though they look good doesn't mean they are! The pipe that fractured in my earlier post had passed an MOT test a few hours before!

Think I'm going to change the solid pipe that's broke with new fittings, flexible hoses from body to axle and the front flexibles aswell. The rear adapter ones are braided so if I order the rest the same that's all done then.

Found someone at work who restores VW campers who has a flaring tool, only a single not double flare though. Any idea what type the Corrado uses?

I went to do the brakes last night and I can feel a tight spot in the rotation of the disk. Wondering whether the stub axle or disk has been bent but not sure how to check them.

To recap the caliper came off with the carrier and got wedged between the inside of the wheel and the brake disk.