Sign in to follow this  
Walesy

2.0 8v Problem

Bonjour

My old 8v has generated a problem.....when you start it the revs build up to around 2000rpm then it just cuts out!....

anyone got any suggestions?.

cheers.

sorry...maybe i should explain better.

when you start the car, the revs build up to 2000rpm on their own..(( i.e without the driver touching the accelerator )) and then it cuts out.

its an ADY engine, im not sure if that makes a difference too.

ADY engine has a motorised throttle controlled by the ECU.

Has the battery been disconnected just before this happened?

Two things to do initially.

- Check for a broken wire around the throttle body at it's 8 wire connector.

- Look at the fault memory with VAG-COM if you can, looking for a sensor down.

cheers RW1, ive got no access to VAG-COM, i dont think the battery was disconnected before...but apparently a couple of weeks ago she got in and tried to start it and theres was nothing...this happened 5-6 times untill eventuually it started like normal... :?

but apparently a couple of weeks ago she got in and tried to start it and theres was nothing...this happened 5-6 times untill eventuually it started like normal...

That could be a separate problem with the ignition switch.

Pity no VAG-COM as the ECU does the throttle adjustment. Something is telling it to raise the RPM.

THe ECU & throttle have to be set up if the power is lost to the ECU but it doesn't usually genrate this fault, just runs rougher.

on every other 8v engine ive seen you can see the ISV sitting ontop of the rocker cover...but on the ADY its not there....i had very little problems with the car when i owned it so never found out why?....could it be something to do with the ISV?>:

I don't think there is an ISV, the ECU opens the throttle to modulate the tickover. There is a motor on the side of the TB that does this.

Not ever worked on an ADY but my mate has one in a mk3 cab. We were going to turn up the tickover but after putting the ECU in basic settings I didn't have a clue. :roll:

RW1 could you detail that for me/us providing it won't wear out your fingers.

Thanks

Gavin

I doubt the ECU is bad, just a set up issue. Looks like RW1 thinks that a battery disconnect could cause some trouble.

Gavin

As Gavin says, not the ECU, they're too robust. More a broken wire or sensor. Which why diagnostics is needed.

TB set-up is an outsider in the stake of things at the mo (Gavin, seen the note, do later. Last time I did one it was very embarrassing, the owner almost killed me! A woman's scorn is very painful, particularly in public.)

I'm guessing but the engine cuts out cos the ECU see's a condition it doesn't like. ie. the rising rpm.

Something is telling the ECU to driving the throttle condition or broken wire has caused an imbalanced condition.

No ISV, throttle body does all the work.

Edit:

Just thumbed thro’ my VAG pocket encyclopaedia…………

Chris