Sign in to follow this  
g60griff

chargecooler or intercooler?

im wanting to uprate the intercooler sometime soon and was wondering which was best to go for. I havent seen many g60's on here with a chargecooler, just wondered why.

Intercooler everytime!!!! Far better than a chargecooler imo!

Look at professional motorsports and the cars - do any of them use chargecoolers, not that I know of and they would always use the best. Charge coolers are usually used when you cant fit an intercooler iirc!

Speak to g-man he'll tell you more

A chargecooler uses a small radiator which cools water, the water is then pumped to a "jacket" which surrounds the boost pipe to cool it. A chargecooler is a water-to-air cooler and an intercooler is air-to-air.

Heyup mate, where bouts in rotherham are you from?

Got a huge intercooler on it, the difference is un-real. I've got a Golf G60 one on mine and it seems to pull a lot harder at the top end.

First thing though is get yourself an oil cooler. This will keep the oil temp nice and down.

im in bramley, ive seen you about and i think a few years back before i got my rado i actually had a ride in yours. how much for the oil coolers, of course il have to get mine running again before i even think about doing any of this.

Were you the kid I belted up to morrissons with and slid it down the dual carridge way? How's it going mate?

It's a bit quicker now, I'll have to keep my eyes open for you.

Give Darren a ring @ G-Werks bout the cooler, it's not too dear and is worth every penny.

Not too hard. If you want to get rid of the original oil cooler you need to get some pipes from a Mk1 GTi, but if you want to keep it on, you just find a place to mount it, (I used to have mine in front of the radiator, But had to swap it when the IC went on), unscrew the oil filter, screw the new thread in, connect the pipes and your done. If I've missed anything thing out someone please correct me.

You can still use the G60 oil filter but it's a right pain to get back on, so I use a G40 now, it's smaller but uses the same non-return valve.

cheers for the info. rack, me you and g6ogreeny will have to get together when i get mine running again. ps i dont think that was me that you run down to morrisons, i was in town and you run me round there.

so the majority think that the intercooler is better. has anyone got a chargecooler on their g60. and what do they think if they have

I have a friend that has a chargecooler that was built by darren at g-werks and claimis that it is better than an intercooler, but then he also claims 'mines faster than yours' even after on the same rolling road mine shows more bhp and torque.

Generally he talks pap! (and doesn;t read this forum!)

I call him MIP. As in Man In Pub - That man that if you did a shit he'd do two!

My Custom Intercooler setup was expensive due to the fact I wanted it mounted low down in the front air duct in the RS4 bumper. It was about £400 for the Custom Forge Intercooler. Almost £200 for the Red Silicone Hosing and £400 for the custom pipework and fitting. Plus other little bits and pieces! And then £40 for the pipework to be polished. All in all just over a grand!

However it would be cheaper to get the Golf G60 intercooler setup into the car infron of your radiator and no custom work needs to be done. Prbably cost you half of what I paid for mine, it's just I wanted something very particular for mine and that always costs alot more!

I think i remember you now mate, did you used to have a white polo coupe?

The golf IC set up might seem expensive at £500, but the beauty of it, is that it fits (just about) perfect.