Sign in to follow this  
Riley

Please help my g60 - Err where were we? Page 42

Riley dude hope it was sorted and it got you home let me know.

Just to write down what we sorted, timing was at about 20-30 degs advance, idle screw all the way in and CO pots at 1000 ohms.

So set the timing back down to 6 deg, Co pot to 500, and sorted the idea.

I cant belive this though after 19 odd pages and the time i spent on the phone with niel etc..."him adament everything was correct timing wise" This is how cars like the g60 get a bad reputation when its not there fault at all.

Niel.- Glad its sorted for you though now hopfully you can start enjoying it.

19 pages and how much ££££

a little knowledge is a bad thing...glad its going now :)

i done a similar thing with a 8v golf years back, i had one of them timing lights with advance knob, id dialed in 6deg and used the 6 deg mark on the flywheel instead of 0 ..only way to learn i spose

aye,went down to see ant.

was parked up on a dual carrigeway,when some nutter did a 'nice' rwd u turn :lol:

'this looks like him mary' i said :lol:

it drove all the way home mint !

but! this morning the problem still persists :( while taking it out of the garage at tickover,revs dropping low and popping/farting,and the holding back at near full throttle.

the timing will have been out with me swapping the dizzy(didnt have a timing light to check it) and the co pot,ive had it at loads of diffarent settings and it dosnt seem to affect the problem in any way.

power wise though,i think ant made me realise that im probably expecting too much after the mk1 :oops: so i think i need a go in his vr6s some time :D

i dunno about the problem though,im gonna just put up with it for a while and probably organise a trip to darren or someone sometime.

im just wondering if gavs dodgyheadlight loom is causing the problem? :wink: :lol:

neil.

Have you checked the crank pulley???

yep,like new m8,and also a new dx crank bolt and washer.

new bts too,although when ant was setting it up,it ended up with the bts not affecting the idle like it should.

i think thats how it ended up ant?

forgot to add it does drive smoother!,probably the timing that sorted that 8)

Yeah who confused me that when you disconect the BTS my on my G60 the revs drop and it realy struggles to tick over, on Rileys disconct the BTS and the revs res slightly. maybe darren could clear that one up.

ok so I have to tell you something that you wont like, when you replaced the bolt and the crank pulley it didnt get tightened correctly....to the full amount of load it should have, or didnt get the lock stuff on it, you have either sheared the key on the gear off or the crank pulley is loose, your timing is off 180 degrees.

I am going to presume that your idle sat about 500 before it died?

mine did this once... bad times, now the even more bad news, you might have bent valves, bentley says G60 is non interference engine however they were incorrect in their presumptions... its interference and you can bend the valves, ask henny, he did it.

what you need to do:

take off the gear, look at the key for it, if its worn or sheared then you need to get a new one (20 UK pounds roughly). get the thing put on at a shop with an air impact driver at 75 ft/lbs not the 60 they tell you to put it at. make sure they use thread lock, once again IM stressing the fact that this HAS happened to you no matter what you think, YOU NEED TO TAKE THIS PULLEY OFF! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD JUST LISTEN TO ME!

if not you can just put it back on no problems but I know this is the problem, another presumption I am going to make is that your car drove like crap the night before? thats cause your timing was retarded =-).

the problem we are having here is timing, anything related with timing, check all you timing belt driven components, make sure the secondary shaft isnt sheared or the woodruff key isnt missing from either the sec shaft or the camshaft, I still think its the crank gear cause its most likely of the 3 to fail, I have had this issue happen to me and it took 30 hours of a VW master tech to find it, 30 hours, GUESS HOW MUCH THAT COST!!!!!!!!! I was there for 15 of the hours when we tried to figure it out! fecking ridiculous. all for a 35 dollar US part with some thread lock and a 2 dollar bolt =-/..

JUST DO IT!

potatonet think your jumping the gun a bit there mate.

Riley I would of minded to check your cam timing but it was getting a bit late, I can have a look at this if you want and hopefully prove potatonet wrong.

One thing I would of liked to check was the wiring from the BTS back to the ECU, the problem you have seems to be very intermitant.

Just read the other bit of you post about "some nutter did a 'nice' rwd u turn"

Come on mate I was driving an AMG Merc it would of been rude not to.

As for it being H100VW head light loom, I still think it is you indictor bulbs as that is the only think you havent changed yet :lol::lol::lol:

Just been on the phone to Mr G-man (lovely chap) himself for a new chip for mine and we had a little chat about your car mate and he said itf your revs rise wen you take of the BTS as yours is doing you have another sender playing up.

to check if its the crank pulley...cant you check that the timing marks line up on both the cam belt cover and flywheel

Yes thats how i check them...

no1 spark plug out Tdc and check both pulley marks crank and flywheel. if all of these line up it cant be wrong.

cheers guys.

potatonet,thanks m8,but i did get the crank bolt nice and tight,used a massive breaker bar on it.

ant,what other sensors are we thinking m8?

could it be as simple as an oil pressure switch leaking maybe?

like you say being an intermittent problem its a fecker to sort out.

i may have an update actually,tell me what you think...

on theway to gsf earlier,it played up once where there was no power,and then ticked over rough when i came to a stop.

after being parked up at gsf and setting off home,i noticed the (recently fixed/new relay) rear spoiler wasnt working,girlfriend noticed my volt gauge reading like 11/12 volts while it was running :?

pulled over,checked the alternator wiring,all looked fine.

got my trusty vw driver out and whipped the voltage regulator off the alternator,erm fecked by the looks of it.

went back to gsf :lol: new regulator on,voltage back to how it should be :D and spoiler now working :?

it drove home 110% fine (for now!)

so would the ecu have detected low voltage and also stopped the spoiler working? :?

neil.(sorry,long post!)

low voltage makes em run shat!!!

when /if it does it again ...pull and push on all the wiring connectors while its running...you may notice it cures it if you pull on a dodgy wire

aye,thing is im still not 110% that was the problem,ive tested the voltage from the alternator a few times (over 14 volts) and ant tested it too,seemed alright like :?

maybe it was intermittent?

edit:for pic of old volt reg!

under 12.2v @ the fuel rail will put the ecu into (safe mode) turn everything on and then measure the voltage at the fuel rail..

I do suspect this could of been your problem..