Sign in to follow this  
lukeage

Karmann Ghia

I was out having a smoke in the car park at work when i spotted this ole classic. The karrman ghia. Maybe not the rarest but not to many around now....

always like those, looks like a well looked after example too. I dont think the range of engines were anything exciting though were they?

there is one in the garage where i got my C from, a bearing in the gearbox packed up and there is only one place in germany making them!!!

car belongs to a little chinese man and has had a full interior restore and respray

A mate of mine has a low-light 1957 Karmann Ghia. Very nice. It's a bit sported up, with twin carbs and sports exhaust etc, and he insists he can get the back end out, but I'm fairly sure that's more of a statement on his driving ability!

He does, however, park it in a garage - that blokes taking a bit of a risk with it in a (semi) public car park, fibreglass panels and all. There are pretty rare, considering there were nearly half a million made.

they were just 1.6 I think

And I'm fairly certain it was all based on a type 1/beetle floorpan - so beetle gearbox and clutch I should presume.

And they are slow - 60hp tops

My bro in law drag races a pro street version of a razor edge Karmann Ghia - low 8 second quarters anyone?

But then they really don't weigh a huge amount.. so with some engine fettling they can be quite nippy machines given their age!

Would be a perfect addition to my 3 generations of Karmann type 53s, as the Ghia is in effect the predecessor to the Mk1 Scirocco :-)

Having just been at the birthplace of all those type 53s, Karmann in Osnabrück, where they had one in their museum again ... tempted.

Tempest

yep, they do go for some ridiculous amounts as i have known all my life! Was lucky enough to bag a bargain and get myself one just over a year ago. Never thought the day would come! Some of you guys have seen this car as i brought it Malvern this year.

KG-reducedpicsize2.jpg

As for "performance" Well how can i put it?... Its not slow, but it aint quick either. For what it is, and its age, its pretty zippy and holds its own on the motorway, around 70-80. (In the slow lane that is) but with a car like this, it really isnt about speed and power (leave that to the VR)

btw Tempest am still waiting to see them pics from Osnabruck.

Cool car Del. Nice to meet you at the weekend.
Thanks dude. Likewise, good to meet you @ Edition and appreciate in the flesh just how awesome your VR is... OSV is a seriously cool car 8) and a credit to you!

Any more pics of the Ghia?

Hundreds! But you got to bring OSV to Stanford Hall next year in May to see them! :lol:

Seriously tho, yeah i will post some up when i get my new computer. This one im using is slower than watching paint dry i tell ya!

btw Tempest am still waiting to see them pics from Osnabruck.

Having spoken to Tempest on PM, think he's seriously overloaded at work atm, just like me.. probably gonna be a good day or two before he can sort out any pictures especially seeing as he snapped all of his on a film SLR and will need to get em processed.

Gonna take me more than a few days to get mine uploaded :(

Shameless plug: lots of pictures of Ghias in my London Volksfest 2005 gallery :)

Have just been having a look at your photos Rob. They are fantastic! Love the photography mate. Am gonna put a hyper link on the KGOC web page, as im sure the members would appreciate some of them shots you have taken. Nice one.